Cleaning dirty cams

salbrecher

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boil some water, add a little dishsoap, stick the cam in there and work the trigger back and forth. You can scrub with an old toothbrush at this point. Might help. Rinse well. Lubricate with WD40 or silicone spray.

That's what I do. It seems to work pretty well.

dru or scuzzy or catbirdseat can confirm this, i think, but gas doesn't affect nylon...

probably still a good idea to keep it off of the runners though...

I use plain gas, and then lube with pedro's...

Yes, gas would work, but why take a risk with something so volatile and flammable when something safe like detergent and water will work just as well, if not better? Gasoline is good at dissolving the old oil, but not as good at suspending dirt and grit as water.

Dru is right about the lube. Get wax-based. These are the same as bicyclists use on their chains. The wax is dissolved in solvent base which evaporates. The wax left behind lubricates, but being a solid, the dirt doesn't stick to it. You should still wipe off any excess before it dries.

OK. So if soaking cams in boiling water works, and if soaking them in white gas works, how about soaking them in boiling white gas? That ougta work REEEEL GOOD eh? blush.gif

Anyway, what specific brands of wax-based or graphite-based lubes have people used for cams besides the specially packaged (i.e. really expensive) stuff like Metolius cam lube? Where did you get it? Is the wax-based better than the graphite?

Anyway, what specific brands of wax-based or graphite-based lubes have people used for cams besides the specially packaged (i.e. really expensive) stuff like Metolius cam lube? Where did you get it? Is the wax-based better than the graphite?

I get a paraffin wax product with a citrus juice carrier at the local bicycle shop. Smells like orange juice with a candle in it. Can't remember the name of it, tho... confused.gif

I think it's probably the same stuff to which Dru was referring.

Pax,

The product to which I was referring above is called KryTech, which is sold under the brand name of Finish Line, and the main ingredient (krytox) is manufactured by DuPont. It is a paraffin wax lubricant in a solvent (not citrus - sorry, my ooops) carrier. It runs about $5 for a 2 oz. squirt bottle at most bike shops.