Ideas for what to replace my down jacket with?

Dr_Crash

Since I lost my North Face Nuptse down jacket (700 fill, stitch through---no baffles---, no collar, stuff in its own pocket) on Disappointment Cleaver, I'd like to replace it. I am looking for ideas on what to get.

I want a jacket that I can always have in my pack for emergencies while ski mountaineering, as well as for those stops at high altitude and evenings in the mountains.

Weight is important since I want that thing to always be in my pack. So is size. I am not sure about down versus Primaloft.

Some of the candidates so far are the Western Mountaineering Flight jacket, a Wild Things jacket (the belay jacket looks great too but is expensive), maybe the Montbell?

I am not looking into spending a fortune, so stuff that can be found on sale is a plus.

Thanks!

drC

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that if I'm serious about wanting to rely on it as an emergency jacket while ski mountaineering, I have to assume unfair weather, right? Which would push towards synthetic except if I can find a nice down jacket that stands out to bad weather well (do the FF ones qualify when dressed in eVent?)?

drC

drC

I would say if you insist on carrying around an emergency jacket in the cascades plan on wet warmer-than-freezing conditions so a synthetic would be the wiser choice. Also it sounds like you are in the market for just one jacket so a synthetic will give you more chance for usage.

With that said: don’t get sucked to far into the “be prepared” boy scout/ mountie party line… there is a fine line between rationale preparedness (first aid kit, helmet) and paranoia (stove on 1 day outings, matches even though you are climbing above snow line, rain gear when 3 day forecast calls for 10 % chance of rain, etc). Look at the weather forecast and trust your gut… the more you take to cover that “just in case gut feeling” the slower you will be and the more likely you will get caught plodding on route with 70 lbs of “just in case” on your back in stead of swilling beers at home while 30 lbs of “just enough” dries out.

But an extra layer when the weather truly threatens is okay… buy a syn jacket that fits… you will find some companies fit you better than others (ex: I can’t wear Patagonia technical items as my arms are too long so my wrists are exposed) and buy what is lightest.

I would say look at for something water resistant with a hood. Weights will vary with warmth… if you get a heavier warmer one take less clothes and if you get a lighter one take more clothes.

Is this what you are looking for?

Golite Belay Jacket, 20 ounces, EPIC shell, quite warm, trim, perfect for skiing, is on sale at sierratradingpost.com. And very warm when drenched. I know this as a fact.

Something like the Golite Six Month Night, WT Belay, or Patagonia...I forget the name, heavy thing.... will be overkill unless you're belaying for an hour at a time in winter. For skiing or slogging, a lighter jacket will do very well.

Weight is not as big an issue as bulk, in my experience.

NOLSe, thanks. I guess when I say "always in my pack" I'm exaggerating (and no, I don't carry a stove for 1-day trips!). I won't have it for short backcountry trips with decent weather forecast. But I don't want something heavy and big that I will hesitate to take if the forecast is uncertain.

craked, thanks for the recommendation. I won't fit into the size S that sierratradingpost.com has, but I'll try that jacket if I can find it locally to see if it fits me.

drC

i prefer the 2 jacket system. down for winter camping, high altitude and a lighter weight synthetic, MEC has some decent ones cheap, for BC skiing and warmer outings.

If you have the money get a Feathered Friends down, it is pricey but you will love it for years

I have to chime in on the down thing too:

The nunatak skahaplus has a hood yet weighs in at UNDER 10 ounces... beat that.

Tom has been stitching quality right here (or there... I'm in OR) in WA for a few years now and makes some awesome sick light stuff. I haven't met a customer yet who has been dissappointed with his stuff. Worth the price!

Shameless self promotion below:

Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket

I use it for summer trips and winter BC skiing. 11 oz with Quantum in a med or 15 in Epic/Quantum in a med. 16 oz is the weight of my Large in Epic/Quantum. The zipper is windproof which is great in reducing drafts through the front which is why it is better than any other lightweight jacket. hyperionJacket.jpg

:end shameless self promotioin.

thumbs_up.gif

Moonstone makes great very light and compressible synthetic jackets. I use the vest, sweater, and belay jacket versions. None of mine have hoods, but I like ballaclavas and so forth that work better with helmets. I use a detatchable hood for extreme cold/bivy situations. 14 ounces of stove, pot and gas canister can make 100 ounces of water.

NOLSe, thanks. I guess when I say "always in my pack" I'm exaggerating (and no, I don't carry a stove for 1-day trips!). I won't have it for short backcountry trips with decent weather forecast. But I don't want something heavy and big that I will hesitate to take if the forecast is uncertain.

craked, thanks for the recommendation. I won't fit into the size S that sierratradingpost.com has, but I'll try that jacket if I can find it locally to see if it fits me.

drC

I believe that Mgear has a selection of sizes.

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/level3_id/0/item/772074

But I got mine for $100. crazy.gif

I have the cloudveil jacket and have been very pleased with it thus far. A good choice if you are looking for a survival piece/belay jacket for full conditions in the Northwest.

I would advise against relying upon a down jacket as a survival piece, unless you have a shell that fits comfortably over your jacket. Even with that, though, after getting hammered by wet, driving snow , digging a snow cave, and spending the night inside there's a pretty good chance you will have soaked quite a bit of your down jackets' insulating properties into oblivion.

JayB, thumbs_up.gif

I agree with you. I had same experience long time ago and I stopped using any down product for several years. I am using one very good syntetic jacket from local manufacturer here in BC Fusion model, with Sympatex shell over (in winter conditions).

Here it is:

http://www.navarrogear.com/productmaster.html

It's cheaper than MEC (when they have sale!) If I have enough money I will buy Cloudveil jacket for sure. It's piece of art!

Z

Edited by Zoran

That Cloudveil jacket, at 36 ounces, is overkill, in my opinion. My ID Dolomitti jacket (an outstanding jacket), at 24 ounces, is more than enough insulation for most conditions, and it takes a lot of room in the pack.

In fact, I just got a Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover,which weighs 12.5 ounces, that I'm looking to use to replace the Dolomitti for all but really cold conditions. At 2.6 ounces of Primaloft Delta insulation, it barely has just over half the insulation of the Dolomitti, but at half the weight and it compresses very small. If you get cold, as Denzel said in "Training Day," "man up"!

If it's only a 'just in case' piece, I'd second the MEC Northern Light Jacket, (or the Magma if you want a hood and twice the weight). Amazing how warm that thing has kept me even when it's been soaked clear through...my size large is 14oz and was cheap at $75US.