name that mushroom

marylou

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

locally you'll find:

Semilanceata (common, and easy to identify,)

Stunzii (common and easy to identify)

Baeocystis (tougher to both find and identify)

Cyanescens (pretty easy to identify, touger to find)

There's also the Amanita (not a psilocybe), the classic red with white dots toadstool, which ought to be avoided. Issue is that the line between high and dead is relatively close, and the strength is dependent on local conditions and nutrients, therefore highly unpredictable.

do I need to point out DON'T EAT IT IF YOU AREN'T SURE WHAT IT IS. Dying from irreversable liver damage is not the least bit funny.

North Cascades, west side. There's a lot out right now. My omelet this morning had some lovely chanterelles in it.

I have about 15 of these, and they all have a lighter brown dot on the top. It's not prominent, like a nipple, but it's certainly a lighter brown dot.

The coloring on the outside of the cap goes from a dark tan color at top to a creamy white, and the gills can be seen from the ouside, as the caps are somewhat transparent.

EDIT: the gills are white.

No, you don't need to point out about the liver damage. I'm still not 100% sure what the shrooms are.

Edited by marylou

Here's a picture of some Liberty Caps in the field, they're almost always found in grass.

mushroom.jpg

The whitish ones are old and sun dried, the viscous looking brown one is new. Note the distinct nipple, striations on the cap, and the tendency for the skirt of the cap to narrow down. Here's another:

2.jpg

Also old mushrooms, note the blue staining at the bottom of the cap. One more time:

PS.jpg

This one sort of looks like what you've got, maybe, but I think it's more likely you've got Panaeleous, which can look similar and grow in the same terrain. Feed some to a neighbor's dog and see what happens.

Oh, and here's a gill shot for you to compare:

2990-Psilocybe-Semilanceata.jpg

Edited by Off_White