Burn Out or Rust?

Dru

There seem to be a lot of people dying recently. Friends, acquantainces, people you just read about online.

Some people die fast of a fall climbing or whatever. Doesn't have to be climbers, my uncle caught a fish, had a heart attack and was dead in a minute. To me this is the same as dying in a climbing accident - doing what you love and over quickly.

I was just looking at some of the WTC jumper photos and what can I say - I would way rather die quickly, of rockfall, a lightning strike or whatever, than die slowly of senility in an old folks' home or of cancer in a hospital. It must have taken a lot of courage to throw yourself out of one of the collapsing towers in order to die quickly of impact rather than being burned to death.

Thank you for listening. Now back to our regularly scheduled spray.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No diss to Neil, who's actually rusting quite nicely, but I lost any sense of the romantic around a death in the mountains quite awhile ago. I know a lot of vibrant and active very old people, and I sincerely hope to become one of them. Climbing is great, but it's only one aspect of life (for me anyway), and a violent sudden bloody end, that may take my partner with me, doesn't have much allure. I think the "at least they died doing what they loved" bit is just one of the stories we tell ourselves to feel better. Untimely death sucks, and I'm sure my friend Guy who died at age 20 on the S Face of Aconcagua many years ago would agree if given half the chance.

Hey Jordop:

While I agree with your frustration, I would not resolve it the way that you suggest.

In order for us to help your next of kin when you leave us for greener pastures, why don't you tell us about yourself beyond the anonimity that the web offers, so that we can tell everyone the truth as you were.

Peace to you.

Erden.

Those 8 seconds could be the most profound moments of your life. There's something about facing death that makes life and reality feel so much more vivid and meaningful. On the other hand the pain and suffering of death I'm sure is usually horrible. So being able to confront one's own death, but without having to suffer? That may very well be a good way to die. Of course given the choice, I'd rather live...

For a thing that defies all reason, human attempts to make some sense or order out of death fill volumes...rooms...libraries.

My own sense of death is that dying will be somehow fascinating, enough so that the actual mechanism seems unimportant. Of course, I'm not in any rush; it will come in its own time.