Hollywood or the wrath of God?

chelle

From this morning's NYTimes:

In Florida, where residents continued to clean up from Hurricanes Charley and Frances, Gov. Jeb Bush told reporters that bracing for a third storm in less than a month seemed surreal.

"Maybe someone in Hollywood could come up with something like this," Mr. Bush said. "But this is past my imagination."

Perhaps he should reflect on past (and future) transgressions. Discuss.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From this morning's NYTimes:

In Florida, where residents continued to clean up from Hurricanes Charley and Frances, Gov. Jeb Bush told reporters that bracing for a third storm in less than a month seemed surreal.

"Maybe someone in Hollywood could come up with something like this," Mr. Bush said. "But this is past my imagination."

Perhaps he should reflect on past (and future) transgressions. Discuss.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

payback is a bitch ain't it?

Yeah, I had brief humorous thoughts about payback, but really it's just awful for all those folks who've got to deal with it, and some of those carribean islands have got it very rough. While it's easy to snicker about Florida, since it's hard to imagine a state with less to offer climbing wise, a lot of people of all sorts live there and this has got to be heinous to deal with. If you want to talk pocketbook, it will have lots of effect on us too, from orange juice to building material and liability insurance costs.

I'll be interested to see a post-mortem study on this year's hurricane season. One piece of global warming predictions is that a small rise in ocean temperature will result in more frequent and stronger hurricanes and typhoons, since storms gain energy when over water above a certain temperature. My memory is fuzzy on the subject, and I haven't studied it, but if true this would have far more impact on people that our own distressingly dwindling regional glaciers.

These storms are tragic, and I regret the loss of life and property. Having said that, I love big weather. I have long had a desire to ride out a hurricane from a secure spot in the path. One of the things I like about the Northwest is our fall/early winter sou'easters that blow and pour. Now that I'm living out here in Taholah, I'm looking forward to doing some storm-watching this winter. Beach Logs Kill!