Accident on Cruiser

MounTAIN_Woman

I was perusing the WTA website and noticed a report for this past weekend (17-18 August)from the Mt. Cruiser area. The author told of being woke up by choppers with searchlights, and then the next day having a chopper drop off 8 rescuers. My partner and I were up on Mt. Mystery last weekend but didn't hear anything. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Trask dropped his cell phone up there the previous day while making an emergency phone sex call from a forced bivy. That was just his entourage coming back to find it for him.

Real funny numb nuts.

...condolences to family and friends.

[ 08-22-2002, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: trask ]

I found the following in the Obituaries of the Bremerton Sun online:

Jason Long

Jason Matthew Long, 23, of Port Orchard died Aug. 17, 2002, from injuries sustained in a fall while climbing Mount Cruiser in the Olympics.

He was born Sept. 21, 1978, in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Richard and Hilary (Hermanson) Long. He graduated from South Kitsap High School in 1997 and from the University of Washington in 2001.

Mr. Long had worked as an electrical engineer at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard for three years.

He enjoyed spending time with his family and friends, mountain climbing, bike riding and hiking.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

well, sometimes laughing in the face of tragedy is the best thing that can be done...

but not in public....humor may certainly be a way to help one cope with loss, but at the same time outside observers can and will take this personal.

if one is to consider things like this a joke(cognitivly or not) then they must consider that there are other involved parites to these situations. humar can be read as lack of compassion or a better then you attitude.

if you feel the need to laugh in the face of tragedy do it somewhere where the general public does not see it....

After I saw the tactless and almost mocking replies to my simple inquiry, I felt bad for even asking. I agree wholeheartedly with you Lambone, it is in poor taste to add humor to accident threads.

I always thought the people who posted on this website, although a bit out of hand with the spray sometimes, were a good and well informed bunch. Especially during all the volcano epics this season, having the true story, not the media's frenzied hyped up versions.

And I thank you Lazyboy for taking my inquiry seriously, and providing some real information. It isn't morbid curiosity, but as a climber who has also been on that peak, I am interested in what went wrong, so that I can learn from it.

My deep, heartfelt condolences go out to the Long family in their time of grief.

Okay, before we make DFA look too insensitive here, let's just look at the fact that your post mentions that you read an article about a guy who got woken up by helos and rescue personnel. That doesn't tell too much. Obviously something went down, but it's tough to say from that blurb whether someone hadn't come back in time and was presumed lost or damaged, or whether someone cratered or was wiped out by rockfall or what have you. So the Doctor's retrospectively insensitive response was based on minimal information. Obviously people dying is not even peripherally funny, and had DFA known the whole story, wouldn't have quipped.

In any case, the offending post has been removed.