Alpinist 8

olyclimber

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine came with a damaged spine too frown.gif I don't know what's happening with USPS here! I called Alpinist and they'll resend one (they also offered to extend my subscription by one issue and let me buy 8 in a store; maybe that would have been safer, and definitely faster).

My damaged copy of 8, for someone who doesn't mind, is reserved to someone who will acoompany me on some easy rock summits (like the Tooth or Chair Peak or something like that) in the next month so I can get my Mountaineers Basic Climbing course equivalency.

drC

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my copy of Alpinist 8 yesterday

The featured "mountain" is The Titan, a Colorado mud pile. What next, Columbia Boulder? der Toof?

Steve Seats yellowsleep.gif

The rest of it came across as a little bit same-old. All the interesting stuff seemed to be a few months late and/or a few months out-of-date. The only thing that really interested me was Yuji's article on trying to onsight El Nino. All that preparation (5 years!) and then he blows it on the 4th pitch.

Yeah the Yuji article did seem to contain some chestbeating (blah blah no one but me could do this, blah blah) but the overall tale of the buildup to the failure was pretty interesting... and also interesting he couldn't do the girly moves Lynn Hill or Beth Rodden could do, and figures it's harder to onsight a 13 on El Cap than to redpoint a 14d...