limestone, the stuff wet dreams are made of

thelawgoddess

well, actually, that would be chris sharma. [Wink]

but anyway, i got my first taste of limestone climbing out here in utah (american fork) ... and it is spectacular!!! [big Grin] for someone who's addicted to granite and plastic, it was a truly fun and exciting change of pace. i flashed my first 11b/c last night [Eek!] and can't wait for more ...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by russki82:

hmmm...i've never climbed any "soft rock" before...here in the northeast most of our climbing is either on granite or on metaphorphic stuff like schist and gneiss.

Personally, i'd get a bit alarmed at climbing anything that has the potential to crumble. But hey...

Quit postin' here if you're gonna dis choss. We live in the Oregon cascades for piss sake. [Moon]

hmmm...i've never climbed any "soft rock" before...here in the northeast most of our climbing is either on granite or on metaphorphic stuff like schist and gneiss.

Personally, i'd get a bit alarmed at climbing anything that has the potential to crumble. But hey...

Nice job Law...... sounds like you had fun! I've climbed some great limestone all over the world..... sport crags to mountain stuff and it can be wonderful! On a side-note; I was recently on a scuba diving trip to Bonaire (Netherlands Antilles) and found the whole island to be covered with 40'-80' pocketed limestone cliffs of outstanding quality. I'd heard of this and took my shoes (and pictures) for some killer bouldering. With a totally worldclass diving venue going on, the island has no idea that rock climbing even exists. Am I the only one who doesnt see an issue with rock shoes and dive computers in the same stuff sack? Any climber/diver types out there?

quote:

Originally posted by DavidW:

Nice job Law...... sounds like you had fun! I've climbed some great limestone all over the world..... sport crags to mountain stuff and it can be wonderful! On a side-note; I was recently on a scuba diving trip to Bonaire (Netherlands Antilles) and found the whole island to be covered with 40'-80' pocketed limestone cliffs of outstanding quality. I'd heard of this and took my shoes (and pictures) for some killer bouldering. With a totally worldclass diving venue going on, the island has no idea that rock climbing even exists. Am I the only one who doesnt see an issue with rock shoes and dive computers in the same stuff sack? Any climber/diver types out there?

Dennis Harmon has some scuba-climbing projects in Lake Chelan or somethin' but he's off shouting at Fred and Ray right now [Roll Eyes] WHAT??? WHAT??? YOU WANT SOME HORSECOCK???? [HORSECOCK]

LG: I think you should check out the east side of the Sierras and the sporto scene there. You would dig the climbing on welded tuff. Letterbox crimpers and jugs, overhangs and tons of bolts. When you get tired of that, roll up to the buttermilk for a bouldering session or the peaks for some of the finest alpine granite on the planet (but no bolts). [big Grin]

Kick ass on the .11! You've been climbing since what, april? [big Drink][big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by glen:

Kick ass on the .11! You've been climbing since what, april?

yep, basically only been on rocks two short times before april. april's when i hit it hard and got hooked. the 11b/c was sort of a joke. i mean, i DID flash it, but i even i could tell it wasn't really an 11. maybe a 10c/d ... [Wink] but man oh man it was FUN!!!

There are some surprisingly good limestone sprot (yes, SPROT) routes in Hell's Canyon on the Idaho Oregon border. I've climbed on limestone there and in South Dakota, Kansas, Cali, Missouri, Costa Blanca (Spain)....good routes on good limestone are fun. A whole different world without the friction we're used to in the PacNW.