zip drives?

Bronco

I'm looking for a device to save a bunch (140 MB) of pictures to and occasional use. I've heard talk of the zip drive but it seems like there was a smaller device available.

Is the zip drive what I'm thinking of or is there some other type of external storage device? confused.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, my post looks like i'm recommending zips. i don't!

i had trouble with mine, crashed my system, had to zero out HD and start over, and i still have a corrupt zip disc full of irreplaceable data that i can't bring myself to throw away. it sits there on my desk and taunt's me.

hey, anyone wanna buy a zip drive?

(no exp with mkey)

I guess you got what you need, but the memory card used for digicams, and an accompanying card reader could be a good, and very small, option. The card would be small, the card reader is a bit bigger, but many people and computers already have them these days, so depending on your situation...

eh, yeah I'm still on '98 but, hey it is the SECOND EDITION!

Loren, I did get the Sandisk micro flash USB drive thing with 256 kb. I think it was around $44.00 after rebate from Staples.

I'm scared of cd burners. I managed to totally debilitate 2 computers while trying to install one. One computer was garbage, something went very wrong on the first attempt. The second attempt I actually got the dang thing to work but, only for 2 cds, then things started going haywire. I took it out and it sits in the store room. If anyone wants it, I'll throw it in with the EXPEDITION PACK listed on the Yard Sale.

Do you have currently updated antivirus software?

Have you visited http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com lately?

Do you have anti-spyware software? (if not try Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoft.de)

MS tried to drop support for Win9x in January but officially backed down. It's time for users to move on. Xp or OSX (for you, Jon). 98 blows in comparison.

USB is mostly supported in 98SE. Jon is right about CD burners causing problems with Win9x.

Does 98 support USB? Shit should just plug and play, right? Maybe you should get a mac.

CD burners are notorious for corrupting systems on windowz.

speaka da engrish? rolleyes.gif

Loren:

I keep pretty current on the windows updates. I need to install the spyware stuff becuase I notice all kinds of stupid programs running when I do ctrl+alt+delete. Thanks for the advice. thumbs_up.gif

MS tried to drop support for Win9x in January but officially backed down. It's time for users to move on. Xp or OSX (for you, Jon). 98 blows in comparison.

Unfortunately there's alot of control functionality to 98 that doesn't directly transfer to XP or 2k madgo_ron.gif

Unfortunately there's alot of control functionality to 98 that doesn't directly transfer to XP or 2k madgo_ron.gif

I'm curious to hear some examples. The only consistent thing that I've seen is some lazy hardware vendors obsoleting their gear by not writing 2000 and/or Xp drivers.

-L

One, at least w/going from 98/2k to XP is a loss of LP1 functionality that effects a cheesy VidMicroscope Image Capture System I have at work. For other things it may well be as you say - laziness/a cynical ploy for more money. I just know I was quoted $30k to upgrade 2 instruments cry.gif

Have you fiddled with the "compatibility" modes at all?

naw - partly because our IT department doesn't like it, partly because I've ended up with responsibility over 7-8 different instruments, each with an attached computer, each with "less than optimal" programming/hardware installations. I wish I had the time to spend to fiddle with them, but I don't - and management doesn't necessarily see the $ benefit to fixing them when they "work" fine in there non-networked, slow ass glory.