[TR] Ptarmigan Traverse- 7 summits tagged 7/22/2004

Terry_McClain

Climb: Ptarmigan Traverse-7 summits tagged

Date of Climb: 7/22/2004

Trip Report:

Ptarmigan Traverse - best way I can think to spend 4 days.

Day 1 Cascade River TH to Yang Yang (climbed Formidable) 13hrs

Day 2 Yang-Yang to White Rocks(climbed Old Guard& Sentinal) 8hrs

Day 3 White Rocks to Bachelor Creek camp below slide path. Climbed Dome, Flat Top, Over Drive Tower, & Dynaflow Tower 14hrs.

Day 4 to car in under 5 hrs.

Nolse and I had our trip go like clock work and if I had to do it all over, it would stay the same. We packed for fast and light with 40-45# packs for this trip. We stayed busy, but I am sure we set no speed records and I don't think either of us felt it was a rushed trip. Most days we were into camp somewhere between 2pm and 4pm.

We car camped at end of Cascade River Rd/trail head after dropping our other vehicle at Downey Creek. We made alpine starts every day to beat the heat and maximize climbing time. This worked really well for us with 3-4am wake up calls, and on the trail between 4am-5am. This also allowed for plenty of light still left in the day as we pulled into the next camp.

Day 1

Starting at 3:30AM the first morning, we bypassed Magic and Mixup, stpped at Kool Aid with a quick water fill up, and over the Formidable/Spider Col to the start of the Formidable climb.

Formidable - Spider Col

583P7220008-med.JPG

We droped packs at the ridge before the drop down to Yang Yang, we did the std. south side of Forbidden which was a fun scramble, albeit a bit loose. We picked up packs on way back and descended to Yang-Yang Lakes where mosquitos were very hungry.

Yang Yang Lakes

583P7220016-med.JPG

Day 2

We skipped Le Conte, dropped packs at the Sentinal/Le Conte Col and headed up Old Guard, which both of us thought was a great scramble with some of the best views.

Back down to the packs, and traverse to the West side of Sentinal where we dropped packs again. We started out on Sentinal's std southwest route, but instead of taking the ramp to the left went straight up into some loose exposed 4th class that I did not relish the thought of downclimbing. Nolse being from Oregon had no idea why I was complaining. Fortunately we were able to figure out our folly and traversed back to the 3rd class to gain summit and descend. Sentinal feels much bigger than Old Guard did and we were happy to have tagged the top. A quick traverse to Spider Col and down to White Rocks Camp.

Left Dana Glacier from White Rocks Lake

583P7230074-med.JPG

Day 3

Waking up early again, we descended the 400' and traversed to the Dana. Here is where we elected to bypass Sentinal and go up the left part of the Dana Glacier. I Highly Recommend this.

Route up the Left Dana in Red

583dana_route-med.jpg

Almost to the Dana Glacier with Wihite Rocks, Sentinal, and Old Guard in background

583P7240084-med.JPG

This approach was very straightforward and saved us several hours by not having to drop down to Itswoot and reascend to the Dome Glacier. With high freeze levels and lots of snow we managed to avoid crampons till the Dana Glacier where we had to cross some low angle ice.

We crested the Dana/Dome Col on the edge of the Dome Glacier, stashed packs and headed for Dome. Sitting on Dome's summit at 10am ish had us figuring what we were going to do next.

Nolse tackling last of snow before Dome summit

583P7240094-med.JPG

Nolse had already climbed Snow Dome, so we tagged Flat Top from the East side. This had some steep snow and a dicey schrund to get around, then one small pitch of rock at the top.

We wasted no time, running down the glacier to get to the next peak, which was Overdrive Tower. Some 4th class running belays had us to the top on some fun granite blocks. We downclimbed, and ran down to Dynaflow Tower.

Here we went up some 4th class to pick up the left ridge (SouthWest?) with a short stretch of mid 5th class, then along the ridge to a very airy summit. This summit was like the iceing on the cake and our 4th for the day. We rapped down from there to the easy third class scree on one rap and headed back to the packs feeling pretty satisfied with our day.

The descent to Itswoot went fast with a lot of snow to glissade and plunge step down.

Last look at Dome as we come into Itswoot Ridge Camp

583P7240127-med.JPG

We traversed following cairns and were at Itswoot camp by 4pm, headed down to Cub Lake, up to Hidden Valley, and then the top of the slide debris at the head of Bachelor Creek. Here we traversed left into the timber and easily descended the steep forest till we picked up the trail again. About 20 minutes down the trail and we hit a real nice campsite next to the creek. This made for our longest day at 14hrs, but also helped make for a short day out the following.

The bridge washout wooden ladder is solid and easy - no worries if anyone is. The distance from Downey T.head to the cars on the road can't be more than 1/4 of a mile.

Cold cokes previously stashed in a creek down the road were much appreciated. We picked up the other vehicle from Cascade River Rd. T.H. and were sucking down Espresso Shakes by 1pm at Good Food- what rewards!

Gear Notes:

never used the two pickets or third tool we brought.

carried a 60 meter 1/2 rope and small rack. My hike boots with Stubai aluminum crampons were perfect for trip.

Approach Notes:

see above

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report Terry - we plan a very similar route/peaks starting this coming Sunday-Thursday.

A couple of questions:

1. We are only planning scramble routes, so not taking any rock pro. Thinking about trying to get by with either a 20M or 30M rope. Do you see a major reason this won't fly? (we realize the risk on the glaciers, but are willing to accept that)

2. Cell phone for emergencies - anyone know if there's reception on the higher peaks or don't bother?

JoshK - scaled pretty thin on gear, my packs weighing in at just over 40 lbs.....

To JoshK, we packed for 5 days so we did have more fuel and food weight, otherwise I would have been challenged to pair it down past that for this trip. 3rd tool was a waste as well. I liked the fact that we had a tent to escape the bugs. One picket could have been acceptible as well. We mostly carried 1 liter of water, trusted the water up high, but brought filter for water down low.

Russ,

If you stay on route with the scramble peaks, a 30M would work fine. I did not bring cel phone and seriously doubt you would get any reception.

Nolse being from Oregon had no idea why I was complaining.

Just call me the choss connoisseur...

Nice TR Terry... a few additions:

- We took a 70 m strand (not 60 m).

- Two flat tires are not better than one. snugtop.gif

I will post my photos once I get them scanned.

I believe the old schoolers used Suphur Creek. The valley isn't that long and there is a trail for a few miles, but there would still be a couple miles of what I'd imagine would be pretty dense brush. You could schwack out Agnes Creek to the trail. I believe there is a trail into the research station above the S. Cascade Glacier, but that's only 1/2 - 2/3 of the way along the traverse and skips the best part, the cirque from White Rock Lakes over to Dome. You might be able to put together a high route from the S. Cascade Glacier over towards Buckindy and Green Mountain. There was a ski route pioneered from the Chickamin to Lyman Lake that might also be feasible on foot. Any way other than Downey Creek would probably add some time to trip.

Edited by ski_photomatt

I guess that would explain it...we used 1lb sleeping bags and a 10oz tarp for shelter. We did it on skis, so no problem with bugs. I think we were quite light due to these sacrifices...one of them almost caught us...we had to deal with rain for nearly a day and a half under that tarp. not pleasent. pitty.gif

• 2 years later...