Adams beta pleeease.

K_Y_L_E

Anyone got any recent (past few weeks) beta on good 'ol #2 Mt. Adams.

Looking to do the south side "cake walk".

And yeah, I know read a book & call the rangers. But I would like to hear your info too. Besides I have a childhood fear of rangers ESPECIALLY that big hairy one that tells people to prevent forest fires. shocked.gif Spooky Smokey.

Thanks for your help

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did that route yesterday. It's fine. Pretty hot, long slog, nothing special to report except that the glissade tracks are really fast and fun laugh.gif Oh, and some of them have strategically placed butt-shredding rocks (sometimes not visible) but it only hurts for so long...

About 2 miles of trail before reaching snow I'd say. And then, nothing to report for the next few thousand feet.

drC

sweet that is just the type of info I was searching for. Thanks. How was the peak? Did you go 1 or 2 days?

Thanks Doc

And yeah, no kidding about the crampons. How stupid can you be? Everyone knows that you are supposed to glissade with one crapmon strapped to your face and one affixed firmly to your genetals! Duh. rolleyes.gif

sweet that is just the type of info I was searching for. Thanks. How was the peak? Did you go 1 or 2 days?

Thanks Doc

The peak was fine. I like that wooden structure that gives everybody a very clear summit to stand on smile.gif

We went in one day. The idea was to climb Mt St Helens the next day, but my buddy got acute mountain sickness (slowing down to about 450 ft/hr at a point, ugh) and wasn't keen on climbing the next day.

RE: crampons while glissading, I had to tell somebody to remove them. I think the first of the (then 11) essentials should be "common sense." And it's useful outside mountaineering too rolleyes.gif

drC

Sorry Dr. Crash

I (somewhat) stand corrected...

quote from Mt Adams Climbing General Info

"Most mountain summits are the scene of only momentary visits, however Mount Adams has a history of human use that is varied and unusual. In 1921, the Forest Service completed construction of the highest fire lookout in the country. Due to the high elevation, heavy snows, and poor visibility, however, it was only staffed until 1924. Meanwhile, over 1,800 pounds of supplies were backpacked to the summit each season.

In 1929, Dean Wade and the Glacier Mining Co. filed a mining claim to obtain sulfur at the summit. Primarily a prospecting operation, the mine was most active from 1932 to 1936. The claim expired 1959. A trail suitable for horses and mules, was constructed to the summit. A total of 168 pack trains made the trip to the summit each year"

Sounds like it was built as a fire lookout, but most sources I looked up referred to it as the miners hut/shack/etc.

probably should have looked this up before opening my trap.

..it's hard to believe that these glissading accidents keep happening!?!?! why are people not getting this message? isn't there a sign at ColdSprings TH??

We've actually engaged the USFS in a conversation about adding this warning to the Mt. Adams climbing permit, but I am not in favor of placing warning labels on every-gd-thing that one might be stupid enough to try.

I'm just hoping that Recreational Darwinism catches up to the gene pool soon. rolleyes.gif

Right, Rob, but when and where does one finally draw the line between what is common sense, and what is just newbie-ism?

Is it enough to say, "Don't climb this mountain without a firm understanding of the risks and dangers of mountain climbing.", thereby notifying (at least) the newbie that this is not a casual undertaking?

Or should the USFS put together an itemized list of all the myriad stupid things people could conceivably do to get themselves hurt or killed. While I do not subscribe to either viewpoint, if I was to be forced to choose one or the other, I would favor the former.

People (in general) have lost the concept of personal responsibility. They have come to expect that "someone else" should protect them from doing stupid things, and then these "someone elses" are expected to be responsible for their injuries/death when they do something inane. It should not be up to the USFS, or anyone else for that matter, to attempt to point out all the various permutations and combinations of things that could go wrong. Because sure as shit, they'll miss one, someone will do just that thing, and then somebody gets sued for the injured/dead person's idiocy.

It's like the warning label that came with my avy beacon: WARNING: Wearing this avalanche transceiver will not prevent avalanches from occurring." Gee, why the hell did I drop 250 clams if this thing isn't going to stop avalanches...? cantfocus.gif

The Falcon guide on Cascade climbs warns against crampons usage while glissading on Adams. But that is assuming that those that use crampons while glissading can read.

BTW (IMHO) that Falcon Guide is pretty sweet. Great info, not dumbed down too much and not so technical that you have to be Becky to read it. Times seem to be about right on too.

I'm not arguing that all the warnings are a good thing. I am hopeful that we will someday return to a culture that encourages acceptance of personal responsibility. My point in the post above is that intentionally omitting a warning from a known hazard could lead to liabilty exposure. Plaintiffs attorneys love to see stuff just like what you wrote. I dont think its right either.

...My point in the post above is that intentionally omitting a warning from a known hazard could lead to liabilty exposure. Plaintiffs attorneys love to see stuff just like what you wrote...

I just hope that the judge is smart enough to throw that one out of court, and sanction the attorney for bringing forth a frivolous lawsuit, if indeed that is what it is.

Here is a site that I like to read with a monthly publication. They also have a free weekly email called This is True at this site, which is about strange but true court decisions. Kinda like snopes.com.

Enjoy! bigdrink.gif

• 2 weeks later...