how old is the biner?

Gary_Yngve

the oval biner is noseless

only writing on it says:

Recreational Equipment Inc

ten years old?

more?

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone remember any specific biners that do or do not work in the homemade hangers on EBD of SEWS (i.e. neutrinos)?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We also found a noseless Liberty biner. I haven't heard of Liberty, so I guess they're either defunct or bought out?

Too bad there's no way of knowing how long the biners had lying there when we found them. Would have been fun to know how long it had been since people have climbed there.

My first "rack" had some Orange colored Liberty biners ( look at the back cover picture in the book Yosemite Climber of Dave Diegleman on Separate Reality...his chalkbag biner is an old Libery Orange flat nose.)

In 1996 I found an old oval biner on an obscure rappel in the Kolob (at the west end of Beatty point) with the name TROUT etched into the side of it. I am guessing it was formerly owned by the desert climber/explorer Ken Trout.

Fun stuff regardless smile.gif

We also found a noseless Liberty biner. I haven't heard of Liberty, so I guess they're either defunct or bought out?

Too bad there's no way of knowing how long the biners had lying there when we found them. Would have been fun to know how long it had been since people have climbed there.

Now I'm interested! Where were you climbing when you found these old biners? Where they on the ground? On route somewhere? Do tell! laugh.gif

Anybody know about" Bedyan, California"

on a old noseless?

Raffi Dedayn -

1st Ascent of Shiprock, among others. 1st American Maker of Oval Biners?

My most interesting old biner is steel D with the old toothed gate. Too rusted to find out anymore frown.gif

We were doing our own variation on the west ridge of Mt Stuart. We tended to stay higher (closer to crest) and/or slightly on the north side of the ridge than the more standard sandy ledges. The biners were not all that far up our route. All were clipped to slings (we got 2 REI And 1 Liberty).

I attached a photo.

369702-old_biners.jpg.4c0aa16162816fae4c8c43b6a095d8b3.jpg

Nice photo. You're lucky; all the liberty biners I have are ovals...the D is choice. The noseless REI is circa early to mid 70's and I think was made by SMC for the evil empire. Those biners were replacing the older style that had a simi-key shaped kind of like an arrowhead. There was a period after the noseless that there was a little notch put into the slot to grab the gate pin and help keep deformation of the catch on the body so that the biner wouldn't open on a heavy load. There was a brief period at Taquitz/suicide where it was popular to file that notch yourself. Go figure, SMC snacked up the idea. The nose was put in to counter act the inherent weak point. The fact that they are far less likely to open against the rock was an un-intended benifit.

This as I foggily remember it bigdrink.gif

The Liberty biners look the same as the old Eiger ovals, and the ultralight ones TG refers to remind me of the Bonatti biners we favored for alpine games. Both can still be found somewhere in my piles of gear. I've probably got some other sketchy biners floating around, like an old hollow Robbins biner and some first generation Chouinard units.