The Second Civil War

TBay

boxing_smiley.gif

Quote Source

Whatever your politics, you have to be oblivious to reality to deny that America today is torn by ideological divisions as deep as those of the Civil War era. We are, in fact, in the midst of the Second American Civil War.

Of course, one obvious difference between the two is that this Second Civil War is (thus far) non-violent. On the other hand, there is probably more hatred between the opposing sides today than there was during the First Civil War. And I am not talking about extremists. A senior editor of the respected center-left New Republic just wrote an article titled, "The Case for Bush Hatred," an article that could have been written by writers at most major American newspapers, by most Hollywood celebrities, and almost anyone else left of center. And the conservative hatred of former President Bill Clinton was equally deep.

Quote Source

The fact is that this country is profoundly divided on virtually every major social, personal and political issue. We are in the midst of the Second American Civil War. Who wins it will determine the nature of this country as much as the winner of the first did.

Which party do you suppose will represent the Union and which party will represent the Confederates?

boxing_smiley.gif

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think people are as far apart as the media and politicians make them out to be. Men like Jesse Jackson profit off of divisiveness. If we were so divided, I would expect people in Seattle to be attacking my gas-guzzling truck and getting in my face about my NRA & RMEF stickers. I'd expect a lot more confrontations from people. This is bullshit.

curious, which direction do you think our Republic is heading?

do you think if Kerry is elected, Republicans will have a hatred greater than the one for Clinton (read: democratic platform)?

do you think if Bush is re-elected, Democratics will hate him (read: republican platform) just as much now or much greater four years from now?

its all perpetual.

We live in a dynamic system in which there exists a natural tendency toward chaos. Someone/group choosing not to socialize with another anymore due to political, religious, and/or social differences, is a step towards seperation, leading to disorganization, and ultimately chaos.

Keep denying that there aren't any serious issues at hand, maybe that'll flaw the dynamic system.

This is an interesting question that we should all take seriously. I think that both Clinton and Bush elicited a visceral response from their opponents that far surpassed the political differences.

Consider Clinton. His most fully realized accomplishments, such as a balanced budget and throwing millions off welfare, were fundamentally Republican goals. His most traditionally Democratic efforts, notably a national health plan, were disastrous failures. Nevertheless, he was hated by Republicans more than any Democrat since Roosevelt, perhaps.

With Bush it is more complex, because the Iraq war can be a honest cause for extreme hostility. I think those of us on the left would not be honest, however, if we did not admit that Bush really does annoy us on a gut level. Maybe that is due to what we regard as his illegitimate seizure of the office or his intellectual limitations; maybe it's payback for Clinton; or maybe it is just (just?) the war.

A hopeful view would be that partisans can take out their animus at the politicians at the polls, in the media, and on bulletin boards, while living, and most importantly, climbing, in a state of civility. A less hopeful view would be that partisanship invades other aspects of public life, with serious consequences for social cohesion.

NOTHING DIVIDES MORE THAN DUPLICITY...LIBERALS AND THEIR SUPPORTERS IN MEDIA TENDED TO IGNORE CLINTON'S FREQUENT ABUSE OF WOMEN...EVEN SO GENDER EQUALITY IS A CORE DEMOCRATIC PARTY ISSUE !

THE CONVERSE IS THAT CONSERVATIVE VALUES HOLD RESPECT FOR WOMEN AS CORE...here is a story of two respected conservative women, and how one of them struck back at CLINTON the abuser........three cheers for Nancy Regan :

cool.gif

Two Classy Ladies

Consider two very classy ladies (as reported by Newsmax.com): - After having suffered a stroke and with her doctors cautioning her against it, Lady Margaret Thatcher flew across the Atlantic to attend the funeral of her friend and fellow champion of freedom, Ronald Reagan. She not only attended the rites at the National Cathedral last Friday morning, but she then flew with the Reagan family another five hours across the country to be with her friend at his sunset burial service in California.

She was the only world leader to attend both the funeral in Washington and the burial in Simi Valley. But her love and respect for our 40th president can be seen in two other truly beautiful gestures. It is being said that Prime Minister Thatcher believed the funeral of Ronald Reagan would be one of the last great events in her public life. It was so important to her that, over a year ago, with her speech slightly slurred by the stroke she had suffered, she went ahead and videotaped the 10-minute eulogy that was played during Friday's morning rites, expressing her heartfelt love and admiration for the Gipper. She feared that, at the time of Reagan's funeral, her own health might've deteriorated to the point that she either would not physically be able to attend or would not be able to speak intelligibly. And two years ago, with Reagan's health failing, she went ahead and bought the black dress that she wore on Friday. Ever since then, wherever she has traveled, she took the dress with her - in case Reagan passed away suddenly, leaving her no time to fly back to London! What a class act!

- And then there was Nancy Reagan herself, who steadfastly cared for her husband through his declining years and then bravely, shared his passing with all of us last week. As if that wasn't classy enough, it was Nancy who personally refused to allow former President Bill Clinton to speak at the funeral in Washington! According to former Republican congressman John LeBoutillier, who forged close ties with the Reagans during their tenure at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Nancy feels that Billy Boy stained (you should pardon the expression) the image of the Oval Office and the Presidency itself. Both Ronald and Nancy Reagan had REVERED the Oval Office. Reagan had made it his policy, throughout his eight years in power, never to enter "the Oval" without a suit and tie on. Before his inauguration in 1981, Reagan reportedly told aides that he had been shocked by the photographs he'd seen of President Jimmy Carter casually lounging in the Oval Office wearing blue jeans and without a tie. He told his aides that things like that would change once he was sworn in. Of course, Jimmy's casual approach was NOTHING compared to the depravity of Bill Clinton in the Oval Office, his pants down around his ankles and Monica on her knees. THAT had been too much for Nancy Reagan! So, when word reached her last week that Bill Clinton wanted to speak at her husband's funeral (to prevent it from being "too politicized," he said), her answer was a resounding NO! A source close to the Reagan family told LeBoutillier that politics had nothing to do with it. She simply would not permit her husband's funeral to be "sullied" by the man who had "desecrated" the Oval Office, a shrine of freedom that Ronald Reagan had held as a sacred trust! Way to go, Mrs. Reagan! Right on!!!!!

LET ME TELL YOU THE STORY OF ALL CAP MAN! HE SHOUTED AND HE SHOUTED UNTIL EVERYONE SAID....STFU ALL CAP MAN!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME???? STFU!!!!

Gosh, what makes liberals so angry ? Maybe it is a Civil War afterall...( or UNcivil ) smile.gif

ALL CAPS MAN CORDIALLY APOLIGIZES TO THE NICE LITTLE CONSERVATIVE WHO WAS JUST SHOUTING AT ME! NOW GET IN YOUR FOX HOLE YOU LITTLE JACKASS! THE LIBERALS ARE COMING! THE LIBERALS ARE COMING!

ALL CAPS MAN CORDIALLY APOLIGIZES TO THE NICE LITTLE CONSERVATIVE WHO WAS JUST SHOUTING AT ME! NOW GET IN YOUR FOX HOLE YOU LITTLE JACKASS! THE LIBERALS ARE COMING! THE LIBERALS ARE COMING!

Of couse Clinton's treatment of women is not an issue for you , none was your sister.

But they were someone's sisters, ask not for whom the bell tolls !

Sailboi, you started out ok with the access issue on Dosewallips, but you are quickly revealing yourself as a simpleton and right-wing shill.

I am somewhat conservative. A libertarian really. But your hero worship and Clinton bashing is ridiculous in light of the man behind the witch-hunt. I speak of none other than the former Speaker of the House, from my own home state of Georgia...Newt, the slimy fucking amphibian, Gingrich.

If you want to talk about someone treating a woman poorly, try this on for size:

The Honorable Newt Gingrich, Speaker of the House, and 3rd in the power lineage of the country at the time, served his wife with divorce papers while she lay on her deathbed suffering from terminal cancer so he could keep shagging his mistress, marry her, and then file for divorce from her too. This was the same Newt who used "family values" as a centerpoint for his "republican revolution".

One day you partisans will learn that these scumbags are all power-hungry assholes who will do anything and say anything to acquire that power. The list of honorable politicians in this country is short enough to count on your fingers, and they fall about equally on both sides of the politcal aisle as well as in the middle.

McCain, Feingold. Consider the ideological differences between those two, and then consider the legislation they brought in the best interest of this country. We need more like them. We need more like Ventura.

We need less people like you who will buy into the party propaganda on either side and fail to use their brains to consider the issues beyond the sound-bytes fed to you by the media.

I guess what I'm saying is: Fuck off shill-boi the_finger.gif

BTW, I signed the petition and sent a letter in support of repairing Dosewallips Rd.

One day you partisans will learn that these scumbags are all power-hungry assholes who will do anything and say anything to acquire that power. The list of honorable politicians in this country is short enough to count on your fingers, and they fall about equally on both sides of the politcal aisle as well as in the middle.

I thought/hoped that this is obvious to the majority of the US population. Please don't tell me that I'm wrong. hellno3d.gif

I am somewhat conservative. A libertarian really.

Please look back and tell me where I have claimed to blindly support Republican causes ? I am a Libertarian also, but many Libertarians run for office as Republicans. Ron Paul and Alan Keyes are the best examples, but there are others.

Please note that I have not resorted to mean spirited language, as I point to the need for respect toward women. The office of President sets the tone for the nation and and an example for the youth. The fact that this thread has as a topic "The Second Civil War" , leads me to probe what is making Liberals so frothy mouthed with anger :

http://analphilosopher.blogspot.com/2003/12/why-liberals-are-angry-and-hateful.html ooo.gif

I thought/hoped that this is obvious to the majority of the US population. Please don't tell me that I'm wrong. hellno3d.gif

If anything Will's underestimated the problem. Not only are the politician's scumbags - so's most of their staff (often the staff's slimier than the politician).

As for the American Public - count the number of "Vote Kerry/Bush in 2004" bumperstickers.....

Oh puhleeeeZE, sailBOI, your rant on the need for respect towards women is sanctimonious empty-headedness. Do you really believe that you have full understanding of gender politics in the United States, moreso even than the president himself?

Calling a blowjob in the oval office, "abuse" is wrong for so many reasons. Most importantly because the woman Clinton supposedly abused was a consenting adult.

Have you never received/given oral sex as an unreciprocated favor, from a girlfriend/spouse/lover/or even a girl you met at a party? Take your moral high ground to some other place, perhaps a feminist rally, and see how many people will support your views that consenting sexual acts performed by women are abuse turned upon them. Sounds like you have a shitty attitude about sex.