[TR] Mt. Terror- North Buttress 6/29/2004

Colin

Climb: Mt. Terror-North Buttress

Date of Climb: 6/29/2004

Trip Report:

I climbed the North Buttress of Terror today, after hiking into a camp in Crescent Creek Basin on Monday. Views from the buttress included rad-looking ski tracks of the first descent of the Degenhardt Glacier (Sky? Ross?). I used the Himmelhorn-Ottohorn col, which is very easy right now, although the Terror-Rake col would've been faster (and was used by the skiers to cross over). In any event, if you want to climb it, do it within the next 3 weeks, before the glacier gets too broken up. I'm not sure, but I believe I climbed the Stoddard Buttress rather than the original route. I encountered climbing of about 5.7 in difficulty. Descent via the West Ridge goes quickly.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Colin that was me and Sky that skied the Degenhardt. It was freakin awesome! We crossed at the Terror Col, and skied that line down into MacMillan Cirque. You were right, it was pretty steep up at the top. Then climbed and skied the Degenhardt. finished it off with a cool little 100' rapp over the icefall at the bottom of the glacier. We'll put up a TR as soon as Sky gets his slides back. My digital camera went tits up on me so I don't really have anything good as far as pics go but I think Sky's got the goods.

Weird we didn't see you at some point. We must have crossed paths at some point. We bivied Monday night in Crescent Basin just below the Couloir that leads up to Terror Col. Nice work on the N Butt. Looks like a sweet route.

rockband.gif

I'm jealous Ross/sky, but you know that, especially since we were only feet away the week before (at least we got to ski the otherside of degenhardt). Being a weekend warrior I usually find that I am on the failed trips and come a nice wednesday-thursday comes the successful push. Ha. Great work nonetheless. Heck, you had good snow and all. Here is a picture of the route from mount fury. I've added some names and heights. Since we were up on fury, I've had this line on the top of my list. The lack of traffic (who climbs the degenhardt glacier?) and the difficulty of the approach make this a quite the accomplishment. I wish I could've been there, but I sold my soul to work.

SouthernPickets.JPG

• 3 months later...

Since questioning Colin's solo ascents seems to be a good topic for the season, I would like to call him out.

Colin, I don't believe you soloed the North Buttress of Mt Terror. That would be... INCONCEIVABLE!!!

And I know you photoshopped this picture of ski tracks on the Degenhardt Glacier:

DegenhardtTracks.jpg

Colin, I don't believe you soloed the North Buttress of Mt Terror. That would be... INCONCEIVABLE!!!

You've got a point there. I mean--where is the chest beating? Where is the self congratulation? Colin isn't even butting into somebody else's trip report to crow about his own. I agree with you, the idea that Colin soloed Mt Terror without spraying about it is just INCONCEIVABLE! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

You've got a point there. I mean--where is the chest beating? Where is the self congratulation? Colin isn't even butting into somebody else's trip report to crow about his own. I agree with you, the idea that Colin soloed Mt Terror without spraying about it is just INCONCEIVABLE! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

yelrotflmao.gifthumbs_up.gif