BCA Stash BC pack: What'dya think?

assmonkey

I need a new bc ski pack. Anyone used this one?

Stash bc ™

Backcountry skiing

stash_bc_03a.jpg

• 2400ci

• 100 oz. reservoir

• External shovel pocket

• Diagonal or A-frame ski mount

• Removable plastic/foam framesheet

• Optional knuckledragger snowboard attachment kit

• Weight: 52oz/1519g

http://www.bcaccess.com/bcaproducts/stashpacks.php

- a s s m * n k e y

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i ordered one this winter but it ended up being too big for me and i had to sell it. :-( it seems to have a lot of cool features without looking too pretentious. great for day touring but not big enough for much more.

ps - the backcountry ski pack i really want (and know will fit me) is the osprey switch 25. w00t w00t!

Lawgoddess:

They make women's sizes of these now if torso size was your issue. If volume was the issue, there are smaller models, like the "Stash". The Stash BC is a little larger for a day of backcountry whatever-you-choose, but the Stash is flatter against the back for things like lift accessible trips out of bounds.

They also have a couple of top loaders that provide a choice for higher volume needs. All have the hydration sleeve in the shoulder strap to prevent freezing.

For the original poster's question, I have used the Stash BC and like it. If you have bought into the hydration program and need to keep that tube from freezing, your choices for cold weather are pretty much anything from BCA or the Switch series from Osprey (3 volume choices).

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I will check out the Osprey offerings also. I'm keen on tubed hydration.

JoshK-Yeah, I'm looking for a dedicated ski pack. I have a winter pack I use and love, but for day trips that require packing the skis, the skis end up flopping about 'cause I can't fill the pack up enough to support an a-frame. And the shovel. I hate having that gooddamn thing hanging off the back. It makes me so angry, flopping about, clanging and just generally making a stinking racket. I just want a tiny little day-ski pack, into which I can logically place all my happy, shiny, specialized ski gear, and it will all just lay down nice and flat and pack really well. If I want my goggles, for example, I just want them to be right there, in the "place for goggles." I don't want to have to untie the shovel, pull off the crampons I didn't need to bring and pull out my hat and my puffy just to get my goggles. I want them to be right there: In the goggle place. And my skins, don't get me started on the skins. Lip balm? And that stupid shovel. I hate that damn thing. Why do I bring it? Well, if I had a nice little streamlined "shovel pocket" or some such, it would just be so much easier. This has happened to you, I'm sure: You put your roast beef bagel sandwich that you bought at 4:30 in the morning at QFC in your pack. Your pack is big and a little loose, it's your winter pack. And the bagel, you think about it all morning, skinning up the hill suffering on Gu and sweaty sunscreen. The whole time, the bagel is in there. But you know what? It's heavy. Heavier than your thermos. Heavier than your hat. Heavier than your extra gloves. Heavier than your orange. Heavier than your Nalgene. And you know what happens, it ENDS UP AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BIG PACK. And when you stop to get it out and all you want is the roast beef bagel that you've been thinking about all morning, it's not where you left it. Nope. It's at the bottom of your big multi-purpose winter pack. And it's not a bagle anymore. IT'S A DISC. It's a disc made of smashed roast beef and cream cheese. And that SUCKS. That friggin' SUCKS. You want to cry and you end up getting mad and throwing the roast beef disc down the hill because it sucks SO MUCH. And then your buddy is says to you, as you watch his big dumb oafy overactive dog bound down the slope after the roast beef disc, "Dude, if my dog eats the saran wrap, you're paying for the vet bill." And the look in your buddy's eye shows that he's not lying. You will pay that vet bill for the constipated dog. See, if I just had a tiny little ski pack, with a "bagel place," I would be happier. We're really talking about my mental health here. I just want a nice small functional pack to take skiing with me on day trips. That's all. That's not too much to ask. Is it?

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

I bought a Da Kine Poacher Guide Poacher pack a few months ago and i love it. Especially the zippers that run down the side against your back and give you vertical access to the entire pack.

With the waist strap on, you can flip the pack around to your front, unzip and grab whatever you want without digging around, zip back up and flip back around all without ever taking the pack off. Every time i do that all my friends get jealous. The only con is that if you remove or change too much stuff, the part against your back might get a little out of shape. this has never caused an actual problem for me though. the other high points are

Removable frame

Diagonal ski carry

Snowboard carry

hydration pocket and hole

shovel carry

Da Kine has packs in pretty much every size. i got the 2300 cu in. version. based on the size you get different features, but they are all pretty much the same i think.

Damn. For that price, I have to give it a shot. I ordered the Slide. I figure if I find it's single bagel capacity is too small, I'm not out too much.

Thanks for the link cj001f.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

PS This is what I love about this site. All the brothers and sisters sharing the love. One Love. Buffalo Soldier. No Woman, No Cry. Get Up, Stand Up, brothers and sisters!

We're really talking about my mental health here. I just want a nice small functional pack to take skiing with me on day trips. That's all. That's not too much to ask. Is it?

Not at all.... I subscribe to the same school of thought. As a result, I have seven packs of varying sizes and with various features. It's all about mental health!