Climbs that are way easier for short people?

Jens

We always talk about particular routes that are harder if you are short, but never the opposite. What are some local climbs that are quite simply much easier for shorter climbers?

I thought that this might be good food for thought?

One that really stands out: (i'm only 5'7")

Brass Balls

Care to start adding to the list?

Some say that overhangs, cracks, underclings,gastons, and limestone favor shorter climbers-- whereas vertical routes, slab routes, granite face routes, iron cross moves, stemming between towers, and dynamics favor taller climbers.

Any thoughts?- local routes?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is this supposed 10b route at marble canyon i have never seen anyone under 5' 8" fail on and never seen anyone over 5'8" do (myself at 5'11" included) cry.gif

it is a bulge to a slab where you have to work your feet up next to your hands on the lip. the taller you are the more you stick out from the rock and the greater the force on your hands.

the one Dru mentions is the one that first comes to mind for me. It's called Variation 4 if anyone cares. It's like 5.8/5.9 for a shorty and whipper city for anyone tall.

Kangaroo Corner in the Smoke Bluffs might be easier for shorter people because you can lean into the corner if your legs aren't all in the way.

In weird tight spots it can be helpful to be small - the Butt Lips chimney for example, or another route in Squamish called Fungus the Bogeyman.

I wouldn't think that any of those example are WAY easier though. In general I don't think height issues matter that much for most outdoor climbing. There are other factors that are much more influential to your climbing successes.

let's face it, it's difficult to think of climbs favoring shorter climbers.

shorter people have the advantage of a lower center of gravity but taller folks have greater reach. I can't think of too many instances when a lower center of gravity is a greater advantage than a longer reach. there is no doubt a point where the reach advantage is not enough to offset the torque associated with tall bodies (sorry cracked you are f*ed). pure friction, continuous cracks, cramped spaces and overhangs are instances when a lower center of gravity rules if the lack of holds is uniform or number of holds is great enough to cancel out the reach advantage. but let's face it few are the climbs where these conditions are met because friction or crack climbs or well-featured rock often have reach issues. short people just have to be better climbers which they often are (yes, i am short). the_finger.gif

The last pitch of Beggars Buttress in Yosemite is one the comes to my mind. Werner braun, the super crack master, who is fairly tall calls the pitch 5.12-. Every short person I know that has done it calls it 5.11. It is way easier to get into the critical stem if you have short legs. The Nose would be the other climb that seems critical to be short, or maybe just critical to be lynn hill.