randy johnson

lummox

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy's Mariners no-hitter was in 1990. Chris Bosio's was the 1993 one.

My Randy Johnson in-person highlight was going to one of the games he pitched against the A's where he had 19 strikeouts where Mark McGuire got ahold of one of his pitches and hit is something like 550 feet to left field. I was sitting in the right field seats and got to watch this majestic moonshot arc up and over and keep going and going and going. This was in the old Kingdome. I thought the ball was going to sail right out that door to the outside that used to let the light in all the time. That door was at the base of the back wall of the stadium. The ball didn't quite make it there but it was still a spectacular homerun.

I've always liked Randy Johnson--partially because I too am a lefty and have a fairly strong throwing arm.

Regarding the Rocket: he has zero no-hitters, Randy has two. The Express (Nolan) had 8 no-hitters but only struck out 19 in a game for his max. Both the Unit and the Rocket struck out 20 in a 9-inning game (Rocket did it twice). All these pitchers bring different stats to their hall-of-fame status. It's not really fair to compare them across these different stats. They're all hall of famers. They're all awesome.

bigdrink.gif