Care Package to Iraq : Gotterdamerung

selkirk

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bro jsut got back from Afghanistan. While he was there we'd regularly send liquor (usually Jack) in cleaned out gatorade bottles (liquor is by far the most popular), apple chips, various dried fruit (mangos and shit from trader joes), cured sausage, wasabi chips, etc.

The food they get is very bland so anything weird that they can snack on is good. They actualyl had like chips and salsa night so we'd send good tortilla chips, velveeta, salsa, etc.

Otherwise, i sent books and dvds. They actually had a little PX so they could pick up normal everyday goods.

I thought someone was going to get together a CC.com care package for GD. Maybe some holds he could bolt on the wall of his hooch.

I've looked at some of the features on the various palaces for some buildering problems, but I'm afraid I would get shot by some unitiated marine guard for attempting to breach the perimeter or for just doing something wierd and out of place.

Care packages come in all shapes and sizes. FHM magazine, Maxim, Victorias Secret catalogs, Playboy, skiing, climbing. The sort of thing that can transport a soldiers mind away from this place are pretty popular. Good books are worth their weight. Large packets of beef jerky, Oreo cookies, Nutter Butters, mouth wash bottles filled with JD, toiletries such as tooth paste, soap, hand wash, maybe some socks such as smart wool light hikers, under armour T-shirts in Army brown or USMC green are very popular as they are lighweight, supple, dry fast and don't stink after a few days. A well rounded care package is a huge morale boost. Some guys have families that send enough for a squad to chow down for days. Sean Halling used to send me like 12 cans of Rock Star at a time. They would be all mangled but still intact. I should have gotten some publicity photos for Rock Star, but I was too busy to think about it. cantfocus.gif

One popular treat we got from one of our guys' aunt was a box of chocolates filled with liquor. mmmh - normally alchy wouldn't make it through the mail, being against the rules and all.

One thought on books - send good ones. Just cause you're in the middle of east bum fuck doesn't mean you want to read a harlequin romance novel or dum western. Being deployed can put in you a philosophical mood, I remember reading plato for the first time .. good stuff.

Support the troops, thanks guys thumbs_up.gif