annabelle is going for it

lummox

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some funny stuff here but a lot of pettiness. You folks have been awfully <i>hard on</i> Annabelle. But while y'all sit in the chat room talking about it, she's out doing it. She went out, got the money, trained and climbed Everest. I think she deserves a little credit and a lot of apologies.

Some funny stuff here but a lot of pettiness. You folks have been awfully <i>hard on</i> Annabelle. But while y'all sit in the chat room talking about it, she's out doing it. She went out, got the money, trained and climbed Everest. I think she deserves a little credit and a lot of apologies.

I disagree.

Climbing Everest especially via the south col route is a major circus. Yes you have to be fit, but you don't have to be any more fit than any one of a few thousand Triathletes.

The main factor you need to climb Everest is money. It costs a fuck of a lot of money to climb the mountain. For the most part either you're rich or you're working some kind of scam. In the case of Annabelle, she's traded her image for a chance to summit Everest and thus become even more marketable for future money making ventures.

Anyone who's pulled a deal like Annabelle deserves some respect, but she deserves abuse for scamming.

IMO the folks who deserve the most respect on the south col route are the blue collar folks; i.e. the sherpas. They're the ones who set the route throught the Kumbu, fixed the ropes, set the camps, and hauled up all the gear for all those folks, including Annabelle, to summit.

I don't think it's very likely that anybody would look down on climbing the Cassin Ridge. I doubt you have the balls to do it Scotty.

Seeing as I've been to 25,000' on the Chinese side of Everest I think I've got a much better understanding than you of what goes on on big expeditions.

I don't think it's very likely that anybody would look down on climbing the Cassin Ridge. I doubt you have the balls to do it Scotty.

Seeing as I've been to 25,000' on the Chinese side of Everest I think I've got a much better understanding than you of what goes on on big expeditions.

So you are telling me you couldn't climb a mountain that annabelle bond climbed... poseur rolleyes.gif

The main factor you need to climb Everest is money. It costs a fuck of a lot of money to climb the mountain. For the most part either you're rich or you're working some kind of scam.

You tricked your self out to fund your expedition didn't ya big guy? wink.gif

Say, how do we know Baddog isn't Annabelle herself making a post via satellite from basecamp? tongue.gif

Although, I must say the avatar "Baddog" doesn't jive with the lovely Annabelle.

I concur pretty much with what AlpineK said, although I don't disrespect someone just because they choose to climb Everest. There is the allure of Everest because it is the highest point of land in the world. It is the ultimate point to reach in those terms alone. The fact that the trade route is now a zoo of homo sapiens sapiens does not detract from the allure of it being the highest. The highest point had to be somewhere. Do too many people climb or attempt to climb Everest every year? Yes, but who am I to really judge this. Is it a source of income for the peoples of Nepal? Yes.

Baddog: your plea for us to apologize is weak--especially in light of you doing so from the comfort of anonymity. This is a bulletin board and this thread is in the spray forum. This is not a government agency or a newspaper. We don't have to retract anything we might say here. Besides, what's the fun in not making fun of her?

Sorry Scotty. If you heard me right we were on the Chinese side...much cheaper. Also the trip we did was about as low budget as one can go.

If I had a desire and the money I could have gone back and summited, however my climbing interests lie elsewhere.

Dude, my hat is off to her. She got to climb a peak I doubt I'll ever have the spare cash to climb but would love to have a go at it. If you have read her posts and seen her pics then you should realize she sets herself up for allot of trash talk that goes on here.

As far as "She went out, got the money,"...yeah she paid her dues there... Her grandma met some rich,horny chilean banker in first class on a plane and granny probably showed him a pic of her and she was on the team with no climbing experience and fully sponsored...wow, what perseverence. Inspirational. If she was a guy or some butt ugly girl she wouldn't be there, ya know? So,yup, it pisses me off too but ,hey, she got the Big E. Gotta respect that... bigdrink.gif

Now all she needs to do is HCL.gif another 30k out of banker boy for Vinson and the rest just about anyone can afford.

I believe AB pointed out that she felt, from her perspective, Everest is unclimable without the help of the sherpas. I think she knew full well what she needed in terms of "blue collar" help and climbing mates. I'm looking forward to the details of how she really did up there. She admits to some awesome fears. She confronted them. It's a game to find the $ to get up Everest and she played it better than anyone here. And there was a definite risk. Ask one of the popsicles up there if it was easy or a "circus." It's a tough venture and AB pulled it off.