metolius adjustable aiders

ivan

just got a pair of adjustable etriers and an adjustable daisy too. i'd used the type before, but was extremely surprised and confused this weekend when using the new ones. all 3 items failed to hold me in place when the straps were tightened (i'd move the step up, put my weight on it, only to have it slowly pay all the way out). they're really strait-forward, so i don't think i'm using them wrong; 1 connection point to the gear and one to the harness. the strap through the buckle can't be altered from the factory setting it appears, but that's the only thing i can image by screwy. what the hell am i doing wrong? i weigh 230 lbs, but i doubt that's the problem. anyone else use metolious adjustable aiders?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is messed up! My buddy doesn't have that happen. 230 pounds, wow, have fun on the #1 heads. I'd be scared out of my mind, I used to weigh 215, but now I'm 160. Hopefully you aren't physically able to lose that much weight! I hear Wally Barker is over 200, he's way badass aid climber, doing A5 at that weight is bound to be a massive freak fest.

Wow, now that's a tall climber, now the weight seems a lot smaller. I bet you could drill a kick ass rivet ladder. I would call up Metolius, if they say you are too big, then that is a scary system. I think something is messed up.

I hate the adjustable stuff, when everyone was raving about it, I bought some adjustable daisys. After about a year I got so pissed one day I wanted to chuck them off the wall. I could get it to realease easy enough. I now am back with regular daisys. But never did they slip and I weighted around 200 when I started using them. Anyone want to buy some adjustables daisys?

ivan, i haven't used the adjustable aiders, but i do use the daisies regularly. i saw someone use them incorrectly once and have a similar thing happen. they didn't connect the biner to the narrow inner loop, but instead connected it directly to the larger release loop. check to make sure that you've connected the biner through the much smaller loop which will be very snug around the biner.

if you've loaded them correctly, i'm at a loss without seeing it firsthand.

The adjustable aiders are kinda scetchy for real aid climbing. They might be ok to clip in with at the anchor and them clip in with the rope. But as your sole source of attachment I definetly wouldn't recommend them. I have had a couple of friends brake them during aid falls. They are only given a strength rating of 300lbs. Pretty lame if you ask me. Sell them and get some normal daisys. The aiders can be real sweet for juggig but for aid they aren't so great.

I use the adjustable daisies all the time with no complaints. The aiders suck for real aid though. Use ladder aiders or get some of them coolio russian aiders and save the metolius adjustable aiders for jugging.

Stop puffin before you set this tuff up.

Bringing this back up... Ivan, did you figure out why the EDs were slipping?

ja, the award goes to rob...too much blaz'n. at the time i had totally skullfucked myself and thought i was overanalyzing it. it's easy to not notice the interior loop inside the main loop, especially when dangling from the first bolt of the ladder on monkey face...after i posted the note i used enforced sobriety to discover the fukup...still, an easy mistake to make. mushsmile.gif

Dru--

I'm not picturing how an adjustable daisy eliminates the need for aiders. Please elaborate.

it eliminates the need for adjustable daisies. you still need aiders although i don't see why you would really need adjustable aiders since you can pretty much fine tune with the fifi

The Metolius Easy Aiders arent' really meant to be adjustable. The footlops sinch down on your feet, so you are never really ou tof them. They have a friction device at the top so that you can lift your foot, pull the webbing through the device and voila! you've taken a step up the aider without removing your foot.

But you all knew that already.