I need advice on moving

E-rock

As a forewarning: Please DON'T suggest U-Haul, because I don't have a second driver.

I'm moving my belongings across country, everything is boxed, and I have no furniture that I'm taking along. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap way to move. I dont have much stuff, if I had a mid-sized pickup with a shell it would all fit, but all I have is a small car. I want to have my car empty, only climbing gear, so I can turn this into a cross-country climbing trip.

Is there a company that will ship this stuff en masse for cheap (i'm po')? I was thinking something along the lines of those storage places that drop off a pallet, you load it, they pick it up and store it. Are there any companies like that for mvoing cross-country?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also I do not want to UPS shit, my boxes are too heavy, and it would probably cost me an arm and a leg to ship it all that way. Thanks in advance.

E

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would depend on what kind of car you had, and how "hoopdy'd" out it was, but what about a small trailer? You could probably pick one up used for not much dollars, then just haul the stuff yourself. Then when you get wherever it is you're going just sell the trailer.

THIS IS YOUR SOLUTION:

http://www.upack.com/t2t.asp

This option requires you to load your stuff at one of their terminals, and retrieve it at one of their terminals. You can use as little as 3' of a trailer.

Another option they have is: They also will pull a trailer up to your house, leave it for you to pack, and then deliver it to the destination. They'll use the unused space to haul commercial goods. I think there is a minimum space allocation.

Where ya headed?

I shipped a whole bunch of stuff cross country at a pretty good rate on Amtrak. You have to bring the boxes to a terminal and load them onto a palatte yoursef and pick them up on the other end. When I did the research this was cheaper than shipping USPS etc and I dind't have enough stuff to go with a larger shipping company.

Look into ABF. ABF

I had them move my stuff across country once. Very inexpensive. They park a short semi trailer in front for your house. You load it, they hitch up to it, drive it, park it at your destination and you unload it. The one hitch is that you have 2-3 weeks to receive your stuff at your destination.

misterE, i LOVE the kitty picture - that's f'ing sweet! thumbs_up.gif

eRock, moving far sucks ass. hopefully you'll find a good solution. i didn't look too hard when i moved but discovered that some of those delivery services aren't too keen on finding their way to telluride. i packed as much as i could into and on top of my car ... and ended up throwing away whatever wouldn't fit. ah, well - good to thin things out every now and then.

btw, if you're planning on coming back and just need to store some stuff let me know.

When I moved out here, I shipped at least 100 lbs of books, a cello, a bicycle, and a bunch of random crap via UPS and it wasn't too bad. There was minor damage to the cello at the location of a preexisting injury, but some carpenter's glue fixed that right up.

I don't remember how much UPS cost... maybe a few hundred bucks?