Back to the Butte

sketchfest

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opps, wife and family obligations. Sorry I missed it.

As an aside, another person pitched off the top yesterday. (I understand they lived, and didn't go all the way).

Thats 4 in the last month. Countdown until closure continues.

Yikes!

Hiker rescued after fall off Rocky Butte embankment

06:03 PM PDT on Saturday, May 1, 2004

By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff

A hiker was rescued after falling down an embankment at Rocky Butte in what was the third fall in the area in the last three weeks, officials said.

Rescuers transport the hiker on a stretcher. (KGW photo)

A pair of hikers was walking near the top of one of the popular climbing areas along Portland’s Rocky Butte when they were startled by a dog. One of the hikers lost his footing and fell 20 to 30 feet down the embankment, landing near 60-foot cliff, said Dick Haney, fire inspector for Portland Fire & Rescue.

The owners of the dog were climbing on the rock face and were the first to reach the victim.

Portland Fire and Rescue's high angle/technical rescue team rigged safety ropes and lowered a firefighter down the embankment. The rescuer secured the hiker and both were lowered to the base of the cliff.

Crews carried the hiker to an ambulance and transported him to Legacy Emanuel Hospital.

His condition wasn’t released.

The incident happened on the northeast side of Rocky Butte, approximately half a mile south of the NE 92nd and Skidmore trailhead, Haney said.

I was just talking to b-rock about this yesterday. I find it extremely humorous that the news always reports an incident out there as a "hiker/climber" fell from the top...blah, blah, blah. Why don't they dig into the truth a bit and say that a crackheaded, meth freak was seriously spinning, strung out on a bad batch of ajax and decided that they could walk on thin air.....Christ almighty, why do they always put the focus on us climbers?

A pair of hikers was walking near the top of one of the popular climbing areas along Portland’s Rocky Butte when they were startled by a dog.

Film crew filming "devil dogs, the hounds from hell part 2" ???

Also, if anyone notices the absence of trash, it was the SOLV cleanup April 24th. Sooooo, I recently got invite to Yosemite for a bit, I'm gonna miss the next cleanup. Sorry, but I'll be thinking of you all. Anyway, as all the 5 cent beer cans are now all gone.....well whats the point? wave.gif

cya when I git back with that California tan thing happening etc etc.

• 5 weeks later...