Picture worth a thousand words

markinore

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Under a policy adopted in 1991, the Pentagon bars news organizations from photographing caskets being returned to the United States, saying publication of such photos would be insensitive to bereaved families. Critics say the public is being denied information by not being able to see photos of coffins coming back from Iraq.

who cares about the families? the libs sure dont. all they want is more bad news to be critical of the current policy makers and help them feel good about themselves for caring more than the rest of us.

if it was your father of brother in one of those caskets you would see it much differently.

if it was your father of brother in one of those caskets you would see it much differently.

I would be grateful to see my dead father or brother treated with the great care and respect that is evident in those photos. It is a credit to the US armed forces that they treat their dead with such honor.

Stop being such a thoughtless mouthpiece, Lars. rolleyes.gif

Lars Said..

who cares about the families? the libs sure dont. all they want is more bad news to be critical of the current policy makers and help them feel good about themselves for caring more than the rest of us.

This line of reasoning is so hypocritical when its spouted from Bush administration. So if a photo is shown of a fallen soldier's body being repectfully transported to its resting place, its a lefty conspiracy to make political profits off a serviceman's death.

But if someone from the right wants to use pictures of a flag draped firefighter's coffin in a freakin campaign commercial, we're told it is is not disrespectful and actually needed to remind the public of the serious issues our country.

So if I apply your reasoning to Bush's use of the firefighter image, I come up with this statement (my editing in italics)...

Who cares about the firefighters' families? The conservatives sure don't. All they want is more bad news to be critical of the potential policy makers and help them feel good about themselves for caring more than the rest of us.

If it was your father of brother in one of those caskets you would see it much differently.

I am not cynical or simplistic enough to believe the above statement nor the one it was modeled after could be applied to any but a handful of extremists on the left or right.

Is it right to show pictures of fallen service men and women being respectfully returned home? There are strong arguments on both sides of the issue and the answer will always be gray. But anyone who suggests that conservatives alone retain moral high ground should really consider the hypocrisy our current President brings to the debate.