Weirdness on St Helens 4/17

swaterfall

I 'climbed' St Helens last Sat with a friend and while I was on the summit I had a strange encounter.

This guy comes up to us and asks us if we've ever had problems with our dynafit AT bindings ejecting spontaneously. We both said no and I started to explain that the only time that I had heard of this was when the toe piece was out of alignment with the heal causing... When the guy cuts me off with a wave and says that he had a shop (Marmot I think) install his bindings and he was sure that it was a design problem and not the installation. I immedeatly turned away, thinking that this guy was a kook, as I don't like being cut off esp. when he was the one who initiated the conversation. Plus he seemed totally uninterested in acquiring knowlege about his equipment, but merely wanted to bitch about it.

Then before I could get very far he asked us if we would mind linking hand to hand with him in a human chain so that he could walk onto the cornice and look into the crater. I thought about it for about 15 nanoseconds and said that I didn't think that it was a good idea. He gave me another wave as a brush-off and my friend and I proceeded to ski back to the car without ejecting once from our dynas. I was thinking about this encounter and wondering if I should get over it or if this guy was really a kook.

Is this spray?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only a kook, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. I've had Marmot mismount bindings before. In fact, they failed to tap the hole on my skis with a metal topsheet, so they delaminated the first time I skied on them. And then I had some "customer service issues" when I went back and complained. Inspite of the fact that the problem was obviously THEIR fault, they made me wait a month while they got a replacement pair from the distributor instead of setting me up with another pair of skis from their stock.

Swaterfall, glad you got out there. Sorry we couldn't join up on Friday but probably worked out for the best.

One of my Dynafits pops off when climbing, if I'm on uneven terrain and have to apply much of a twisting force. This is a major pain, but I am still sold on Dynafits in general. This particular pair I bought used-- I suspect somebody sold them because they weren't working perfectly. (A used axe is one thing, used bindings another. Not the wisest move on my part.) But with the heels locked in, they have performed as expected, never releasing unless required to. With the heel locked in, it's hard to see how one could generate enough rotational forces to twist out of the toe without releasing the heel first.

Norman Clyde, do you have the first year model of the tri-step? Others have reported the same problem with them and I believe life-link has a fix that they will send you for free. I have the 2nd year version of the tri-step and thankfully have not experienced any releases except for when I forget to lock them down in tour mode. Note that any version of the dynafit will twist out of the toe piece if it isn't fully locked down.