fenderfour

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would you rather have

a) a newbie pissed off at you, or

b) a newbie dead cause no one told em what they do is unsafe?

PersonallY i only tell a guy what he's doing is unsafe if it's a chance to make him look bad in front of his cute girlfriend smileysex5.gif

would you rather have

a) a newbie pissed off at you, or

b) a newbie dead cause no one told em what they do is unsafe?

PersonallY i only tell a guy what he's doing is unsafe if it's a chance to make him look bad in front of his cute girlfriend smileysex5.gif

So it was Dru pissing me off this weekend. Bastard. fruit.gif

Men%20wo%20Hats_Safety%20Dance.jpg

I love that song! rockband.gif

"You can dance if you want to, we've got all your friends and mine, your friends don't dance and if they don't dance they are no friends of mine, you can dance yyou can dance and sing....."

aahhhh the memories fruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gifbigdrink.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifbigdrink.giffruit.giffruit.gif

I just wanted to ttake this opportunity to waste some of your time with a mindless rant.

-Warning- if you want to feel like you spent this time well, stop reading now.

[rant]

I'm pretty damn tired of all of the super-safety conscious climbers out there. I'm not talking about the majority of climbers who perform doublechecks on gear and rigging, but the people that debate over which is the best knot to tie in with, how many 'biners one should link in with ... etc. please, figure it out. Yes, two biners are safer than one. One biner is 99.99% safe. two biners are 99.999% safe. Does it really matter? jeezus!!!

I was climbing today, helping a friend learn to belay. Some random guy at the crag informed her that she should ALWAYS clip her biner and device through her rappel loop, not through her leg loop and waist loop. Ummm... excuse me, did I say shit to you? Did you even introduce yourself, say hi?? No. SO SHUT THE HELL UP.

He went on to tell us that the rappel loop was the strongest part of the harness and that it would be the last thing to break. Yeah, but isn't that attached to the waist loop and the leg loop? Mind your own damn business.

I have heard the arguement that rigging a biner through the waist loop and leg loop can lead to tri-axial loading. I don't think that there will be enough force on the biner on my harness to make it an issue. Especially when toproping.

In closing. I would like all of you safety mongering shitheads to quit worrying about how many kN your carabiners can handle, to quit worrying about whether or not a tied sling can take as much force as a sewn sling and just get over it. If you buy gear from a reputable company and learn to use it properly then you will be ok. Got it?

[/rant]

oh ya and when you are teaching someone to climb ESPECIALY when you are teaching some one you claim to love, you have an OBLIGATION TO DO THINGS IN THE MOST SAFE AND CORRECT WAY. use the FREAKING belay loop.

I think tying into the waist and leg loops is safe enough for anyone... loved or unloved.

The person you ran into at the crag was either an instructor or a recent grad of the mounties or some equivalent group.

I run into folks like that now and again. It's best to either ignore them and make fun of them later or else make fun of them to their face if the mood strikes you.