[TR] Mt Maude- North Face and North East Couloir 3/22/2004

TeleRoss

Climb: Mt Maude-North Face and North East Couloir

Date of Climb: 3/22/2004

Trip Report:

Jason C. and I climbed and skied the North Face and the North East Couloir (North Face Ice Couloir in Beckey vol. 2) on Mt Maude, this last Monday and Tuesday. After a long boat ride Sunday morning up Lake Chelan and a quick, but extremely fortunate bus ride up to Holden Village we were skinning up Copper Creek. Spent Sunday night in upper Copper Creek.

Monday morning skinned up to Copper Creek Pass. Wow, what a spectacular view! Across Entiat Meadows loomed the large NE face of Maude. It was looking pretty intimidating from this vantage point. We could only see the lower portion of the North Face route, but the NE Couloir was in plain sight and was looking sweet. We skied corn snow down into Entiat Meadows and made camp near a moraine at ~9:30am. Removing all but climbing and skiing essentials from our packs we set off for the North Face shortly after 10. Skinning up the moraine towards the gullies we were treated to a show of continuous wet slides waterfalling down the steep East face of Seven Fingered Jack. A pretty impressive show.

We skinned up through the lower gullies, and up to ~7,400' where we strapped skis to the packs and donned crampons. Climbing was a breeze, punchy semi firm powder, with some nice small runnels which were nice and firm for climbing. We brought rope and pro but didn't use any of it. When the route turns left a little bit the snow got a bit deeper and made for some steep postholing up the final several hundred feet. Made the summit ~2:30, and were greeted by strong winds at the summit. And although the day had been crystal clear for the entire climb, some major clouds were blowing in from the west. A quick look around and we strapped into the skis and dropped in. Man was it sweet. Steep pow all the way down.

We made it into camp just in time for it to start raining and retreated to the tent for a long evening.

On Tuesday we didn't really have a plan set for what we were going to do. We eventually decided on the NE Couloir on Maude.

After another leisurely morning we left camp at 9:30. It was nice to have our skin track in from the day before, and after leaving the track and traversing below the NE face we were below the couloir. Pretty much the same story as the day before, although the the NE Couloir is a little steeper than the North Face, and the snow was a little punchier. Again crampons and axe were all that was needed.

On the summit strong winds again limited our stay, and what looked like a fairly decent storm system was looming to the west. The ski down the couloir was spectacular, a direct line all the way down the couloir, through the lower gullies and into camp....absolutely awesome.

That night it began snowing and blowing pretty hard, and in the morning continued to worsen, so we abandoned any hope of more climbing and skiing that day. We had initially planned on staying until Thursady, but bailed on Wednesday due to the weather.

An interesting skin back up to Copper Creek Pass, and it was all easy, but wet cruising back down to Holden. Somehow, we had managed to make it to Holden just as the bus was being loaded for the 12 mile trip down to Lucern, and the Lady Express back to Chelan.

~Ross

-in the pic the North Face is yellow, the NE Couloir is Red. Ski descents followed the climbing routes. Blue is where we descended the lower gullies to camp.

Gear Notes:

Brought gear, didn't use it.

Approach Notes:

Copper Creek from Holden Village

326329-route.JPG.8f01bb53a2f8306148e9612c25409f60.JPG

Edited by TeleRoss

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the big pics - and they kick ass.

How steep do those routes get anyway?

The North Face starts out pretty moderate, maybe 40-45, but steepens to 50+ for the last several hundred vertical feet.

The NE Couloir was definitely steeper and more sustained than the North Face route. The NE Couloir was probably somewhere near 50-55 for the entire route.

~Ross

Blake, click here for a panorama of the east side of the Fernow Group as seen from nearby South Spectacle Butte. Fernow is in the middle of the right panel (and Copper Peak is the dark pyramid to its right). The Copper Creek Route to Fernow comes up to the saddle at right-center in the right panel. You can then pretty much see you have to stay to the south side of the East Ridge leading up to Fernow's summit. Expect Class 3 at the top.

Blake, are you just trying to do Fernow in a day or specifically do it in a day from Holden? If the former, it is definitely doable in a day from the phelps creek trailhead. I really enjoyed the hike up into leroy basin and up and over onto the miniglacier to fernow. It's a great peak in a neat area, definitely one I'd recommend.

Seven Fingered Jack on the other hand... pitty.gif

Blake, are you just trying to do Fernow in a day or specifically do it in a day from Holden? If the former, it is definitely doable in a day from the phelps creek trailhead. I really enjoyed the hike up into leroy basin and up and over onto the miniglacier to fernow. It's a great peak in a neat area, definitely one I'd recommend.

Seven Fingered Jack on the other hand... pitty.gif

I'd be doing it from holden, because I'd be coming from Stehekin, and going out to the Entiat and up just wouldn't make any sense. Klenke, that pic helps a lot, it sounds like there are some loose gullies at the headwaters of Copper Creek: Image092_700x525_Med_n1456325848_213134.jpg but once that saddle is gained, I agree that the south side of the east ridge looks fairly class-3 doable. Trip planning is addictingly fun.

Edited by Blake