Asteroid Near Miss

catbirdseat

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earth has a mass extinction every 30 million years or so because the sun passes through the plane of our galaxy at that frequency. Stars passing near the Oort cloud dislodge comets and asteroids which plummet towards earth. This happened last about a million years ago.

You may think, "whew, we dodged a bullet, didn't we?", until you learn that it takes a million years for the comets to reach earth once their orbits have been perturbed.

the current mass extinction has nothing to do with comets smart ass! wave.gif
The current mass extinction has been selective. That is, it has been selective for non-human species, particularly tropical ones. A comet induced extinction might not be so selective.

great auks were tropical?

the last cometary extinction seemed to prefer dinosaurs and ammonites smart-guy

what about the pleistocene extinctions huh???? comet??? or the permian-triassic? ya see any comets there???? hahaha.gif

on the other hand i dont believe any mass extinctions have been correlated to Tunguska or Brazil either, where comet impacts have been deduced this century....

No hippofrogzilla research is available to me at this time. There are documents that indicate that the hippopafrog population was decimated at nearly the same time. I suspect this is from more fallout from the anus of an apatosaurus. Maybe it killed the catbirshit family tree too but not sure about that species.

i ripped my doorjamb off once doing that. also destroyed a few friends houses cranking door jamb pull ups when i was young and drunk.

I lost my deposit on a rental house once for reinforcing the head casing with some 8d nails trying to avoid just such a thing. Sheesh, I was just trying to be thoughful.

at least a door jamb in the head scar doesnt look as bad or stupid as an ice tool in the head scar. or an asteroid in the head scar for that matter. see how nicely the thread circles back upon its original subject, like a double helix, or a parasitic worm in the anus of an apatosaurus? mushsmile.gif

• 10 months later...

"Do you suppose one could actually see it as it goes by?"

From the page Dru linked to:

"Based on albedo contraints...the diameter of the object is about 320 meters. At the time of the closest approach, the asteroid will be a naked eye object (3.3 mag.) traveling rapidly (42 degrees per hour!) through the constellation of Cancer."

42 degrees per hour is slow enough to keep track of but probably too slow to be of continual interest. That is, I'm not going to be watch it all night--if I'm still alive in 2029.

Edited by klenke