NWOG now Cascade Guiding Service

willstrickland

Pot'teryx, what gives dude? Northwest Outdoor Guides has now become Cascade Guiding Service http://cascadeguide.com

"People of all ages who seek outdoor adventure, whether reaching a moderate summit or attempting Mount Shuksan, have found personal accomplishment exploring this magnificent terrain with Cascade Guiding Services"

Have they now? How does that happen when the service isn't yet operating?

I also wondered about this one:

"For experienced climbers who need someone to show them the classics of the area, or put up harder routes than they can climb on their own. We provide a private guiding service that can be customized to meet your needs."

Ropeguns eh? hahaha.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus tits...you are expecting people to pay you to go hike up pilchuck, or get an intro to showshoeing?

Honestly, the fact that scot'cloudveil can call himself a guide demonstrates the problem with the lack of guiding regulation in the states.

"For experienced climbers who need someone to show them the classics of the area, or put up harder routes than they can climb on their own. We provide a private guiding service that can be customized to meet your needs."

Ropeguns eh? hahaha.gif

I pity the "experienced climber" who can't find his own partner but rather has to hire the experience of a decididely unexperienced climber (pot'teryx) to partner with him. This seems like such a bad plan it's not even funny.

The guy is trying to make a living off of something that he likes doing, why don't you guys just put the dick back in your mouth and shut up.

And I would say to Scott, who is trying to make a living off of doing something that he likes doing, that if you live in glass house, don't throw stones. Seems like only yesterday he was making fun of me in the exact same way, only it wasn't in Spray. Wait, it was yesterday.

Scott laughs at someone doing what they love to do

If I remember correctly, Will tried something similar with Tribal Guides or something like that. Nothing wrong with this except the fact that now he's attacking other people for doing what he tried to do some time ago and apparently failed to accomplish. Maybe there's a little envy involved in this attack.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people trying to make a living off of something that they love to do. I think it's unfortunate that people would attack someone for trying to do this.

It should also be remembered that for however "easy" you might think something is, there are still a lot of people out there that do not feel the same way. Grand Canyon hiking guides and hiking guides in Yosemite Valley never do anything that most people on this board would consider "hard." However they do bring people with minimal experience to places that they wouldn't be able to get to otherwise.

Believe it or not, but guiding routes that are third, fourth, and low fifth class is a lot more difficult than guiding something that is mid fifth class or harder... That is if the guiding is done properly. In any case that's a bit off topic...

Anybody who's doing something they are passionate about and making a living off of it should be congratulated instead of made fun of.

Jason

The guy is trying to make a living off of something that he likes doing, why don't you guys just put the dick back in your mouth and shut up.

there are some professions where loving what you do is not a sufficient qualification, one must also demonstrate technical competency: for instance engineering. And, in most countries aside from the USA, guiding is also one of those professions. In the UK, based on his demonstrated level of experience I am certain Scott could qualify for his "Single Pitch Award" which would allow him to take groups of beginners top-roping - however his website suggests he is aiming for something more than this. Hence our doubts. wave.gif

More like questioning competency Jason.

I guided off and on for about a year and a half on my own before I started looking at getting Tribal up and running. Long story short, I landed a good job that ate most of my time and would allow me to retire fairly early...before age 40. Combine that with the fact that my best two guides, the guys with the alpine cred, became unavailable to guide. One signed a long-term deal with NOLS, the other moved to Italy.

And to be honest, I'd rather work 40hr weeks and make five times the money and retire early than struggle with a keeping a business afloat.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making money from what you love. But I do have issues with misrepresentation of competency and credentials. I don't know Scott's "guides" but from what I've seen on his web page I wouldn't exactly call them able to "put up harder routes than you could on your own".

Jason, you guide right? You know as well as I do that ropegun credentials aren't necessary 98% of the time. Seldom are you on terrain harder than 5.7. Nevertheless, I don't think simply being WFR certified and a 5.10 leader makes one qualified to guide.

My motivation here is not to ridicule Scott. It's to make him think. To make him reconsider selling the service as some long-existing enterprise that has guided hundreds of clients. To reconsider putting low quality video on his site that shows his supposed ropegun falling off a 5.9 route. And especially to consider having his guides get AMGA certs or at the very least take the RICs.

I'm an asshole if you haven't figured that out. But my motivation here is actually to help the guy out. I've criticised his website before, and in my mind it's no different than doing photo critique. It's one man's opinion, but it might be worth considering. My means of making people think just tends to be poking fun and slinging shit. Take it FWIW.

Will,

I agree with much of what you said. It does take more than 5.10 and a WFR card to guide. It also takes passion for guiding, in part because of the fact that one doesn't make much money as a guide. Indeed, taking some AMGA courses is a very important part of guiding in the ongoing development of guiding as a profession in the United States.

However, I don't believe that you are trying to make Scott think. I do believe that the way you are addressing him is in ridicule. And that's where I take issue.

I personally love guiding and would like to support anyone who is trying to get involved in it. Being a guide is hard enough as it is.

Jason