AT boots/alpine bindings

marylou

In my never-ending quest to keep my feet happy, I am wondering about using my AT boots (Scarpa Laser) with my downhill ski/binding setup. The Lasers are the most comfortable ski boot I've ever owned.

Trying this at home on the carpet, it's a little weird to get the boots to lock into the binding. Not sure if this setup is a bad idea or not.

Thoughts? Experiences?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it. You'll die.

On a serious note. You can use AT boots with Downhill binders, especially those that have an adjustable height toe. AT boots won't release as well because of increased resistance with the vibram sole. That said I know of a number of ski patrollers who use AT boots in downhill binders, and hell they release better than any tele ski!

The boot B-Rock mentioned is probably the Garmont Adrenalin, which isn't out yet.

Aren't you the gear editor?

Toe height can be adjusted, Beware of the Heel lockdown, AT's are much thicker and the heel release can cause problems. The Heel of the boot also will not push the brakes down and in the proper way on some models. I have done it w/ my Scarpa Denali XT,s. But after evaluations I will never do it again.

"They" specifically say that AT boots are not to be used in Downhill bindings for the reason that b-rock mentioned.

scot'teryx - Why would the weight of the ski matter? confused.gif I know lots of people who use "alpine skis" with AT bindings, and various combos like that.

Do people really want their bindings releasing in backcountry conditions? I crank my bindings way high. Losing a ski would be lame on steep areas or in powder (man would that suck). They still release when I crash and burn at high speed, usually. It's generally the slower speed wipeouts where they don't release and I can torque my leg. It seems like people make too big a deal about this. As for the argument that they would still release better than tele bindings, I would say you are more likely to injure your leg in a crash on AT gear than tele gear, so the release is much more important on AT gear.

I use this set-up when I am working and skiing on the hill and the one thing I have noticed is a decrease in performance . AT boots just do not give the support that a pair of good fitting downhill boots have and I cannot edge and control my skis when wearing AT boots. I like the setup for comfort but not for aggressive skiing.

I'm not as concerned with high performance as I am with comfort at this point. I simply don't and can't ski as aggressively as I used to. Just looking for a more comfortable option for the inbounds stuff. What I'm seeing in this discussion makes me think it might not be all that safe.

I do use my full AT setup inbounds sometimes, but it's a little too noodly if there is any ice at all.

And yes, I do do the gear thing, but it's not ski gear.

Do people really want their bindings releasing in backcountry conditions? I crank my bindings way high. Losing a ski would be lame on steep areas or in powder (man would that suck). They still release when I crash and burn at high speed, usually. It's generally the slower speed wipeouts where they don't release and I can torque my leg. It seems like people make too big a deal about this. As for the argument that they would still release better than tele bindings, I would say you are more likely to injure your leg in a crash on AT gear than tele gear, so the release is much more important on AT gear.

I have my bindings set pretty low...6.5 I think? I release pretty often, but I use leashes so it's not a problem. I haven't prereleased since the first day I used them.