Fitting Mythos

dberdinka

Ok, a lame question, but.....

They were my favorite shoes ever, then I got lazy, yesterday my left big toe starting sticking through the rand. Not good. hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

Now I can't remember how tight I bought the things. Really tight? Or painfully tight? Can't remember.

How much do these things stretch. Any advice? Thanks

Darin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what you will use them for, I would say painfully tight. They stretch a fair amount. I usually own two pairs. ONe new pair thats painfully tight for hard free climbing. Then an older resoled pair that I've had for a while that I use for alpine. Most importantly, Mythos stretch a fair amount.

How was Index yesterday?

UTW. We were on Green Dragon. The crux pitch is really fun. I thought it was close to C1+/C2. No way is it C3. Pretty much every placement seemed bomber. I can't think of any reason why anyone should bring pins or heads on the route. It was a spectaular day. bigdrink.gif

I fit moderately tight new, but not immediately painful. Pretty uncomfortable after a 1/2 hour or so. That streched out just right for me. Too bad I climbed two full days in a row on the last new pair. 1.5 years later and my toe nails are *almost* back to normal. Then again, I suck, so take advice w/ a grain of salt. smile.gif

out of the box i would go with "really" tight as opposed to "painfully" tight. mythos will stretch as much as they need to and i really don't think there's any advantage to making them stretch more. (along the lines of what dbb said, "really" tight out of the box will likely be painful after a few pitches until they're broken in.)

Hey dude. I had lunch (sort of) with that wacko doug a few weeks ago. He's still crazy.

Anyways, I'm not going to pretend to know anything about shoes, but I will make this speculation that you can chew on and make you own opinion:

I wonder if there is any correlation between making your shoes stretch alot (i.e. buying them SUPER tight) and shoes wearing out sooner. In fact, I'll go one step further and speculate that if you buy shoes TOO small, not only will they be tight (duh) but also when you go to resole them and remove/alter the rubber, the leather will "expand" and the new application of rubber will leave you with a floppy fit. The leather gets streatched but is held snug by the rubber, but when you resole, the new rubber doesn't fit tight and the shoes turns to banana. Just a thought.

that's retarded.

No. You know what's retared? getting on people case for making a speculation (conclussion based on incomplete evidince for the purpose of discussion), then not giving any counterexample or counter argument. Thats retared. If you've got something constructive to say, I'm all ears.

that's retarded.

No. You know what's retared? getting on people case for making a speculation (conclussion based on incomplete evidince for the purpose of discussion), then not giving any counterexample or counter argument. Thats retared. If you've got something constructive to say, I'm all ears.

Layton's right. I've never had the fit of a shoe change after resoling. I don't know the details of shoe resoling, but a good cobbler won't change the fit. wave.gif

1. Sorry. Seriously. That was little short of me (to say the least.) I've always loved the self-deprecating "I'm retared."

2. But I'll say I've now actually thought about the resoles I have had done. ALL have had some change in fit. (duh.) not so much size, but more "fit". But the distinction I think is interesting is the clunker kaukulator syles shoes I'v resoled have felt more comfortable, and the thin floppy guys have always felt looser. Ok, there could be some statistically significant factors: I resole the individual pairs of slipper like shoes more, so maybe the simple age of the shoe is becoming more of... shit. Duh.

Side story. I had a pair of mytho that I'd resoled at least three times. I took them to that coble in B'ham on railroad, just to have him patch some tears..oh, the tongue. He fixed the tougne. But he told me the shoes were just Rotten. literally. And he wasn't joking. He thought it was gross.

But regardless, I still think there's something to too tight of shoes going south sooner than reasonably fitted shoes.

Also, I believe there is enough variation in foot size and strength over the course of a shoe's lifetime that the foot you started with is not the same as the foot you have when you go to replace the shoe. (big breath) Hence, the old shoes size is irrelavant, at least no more relevant than what you can figure out trying on new shoes.

bigdrink.gif