• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
minx

washing your rope

warm water in a 5-gallon pail or the bathtub.

tons of rinses until the water runs clean.

Usually just water, occasionally woolite.

i use a top loader...but i "braid" the rope up and then throw it in a fishnet bag and wash it in that...i don't think it really matters...the braiding keeps the rope from getting a ton of twists in it, and the bag prevents it from getting wrapped around the spindle...

get it soaking wet climbing in the rain and rappel on it. watch the mud fountain out! blush.gif

woolite. front loader at laundromat. lay out to dry.

that or:

use ice climbing at the ouray ice park. lay out to dry.

both work well, but the latter is cheaper and way more fun! evils3d.gif

Maxim (the rope not the magazine) suggests to wash them in a pillow case with a mild detergent and I think cold water. Find a box of soap that has a baby on the front and your golden.

Has anyone re dry treated a rope before? Does it work?

Yes, I've done it. It does help an older rope that is loosing its DWR, but it isn't perfect. Its worth it though.

There was a recent thread on this topic somewhere. Do a search, you'll find it.

wave.gif

laying your rope out to dry is bad news.. Especially in the sun. flake it over something in your garage to dry.. allowing water to run off. Don’t sit it on the floor as it will just sit in a puddle.

i didn't say pile it up in a bundle on the floor - geez. guess i should have been more specific for those of you that take things literally ... i always hang mine to dry. and - btw - clothes dry faster that way, too. leaving them in the basket all wet will take a long time and might make them mold. tongue.gif

SMC carries a product for a couple bucks that you can buy. That is called a rope washer, it is made from PVC and hooks on the end of your hose. It is pretty neat