Clipping 101

sk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellaf.gif

May an icicle fall on GregW's and your head! TUBBY! yellaf.gifwave.gif

I'm sorry you can't ski, Rudy. I know it makes you inferior, but I try not to rub it in. wave.gif

HA! I was talking about you ice climbing! But since you brought up skiing, do the attendents let another person on the lift when yo fatty arse gets on??? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifwave.gif

yellaf.gif

May an icicle fall on GregW's and your head! TUBBY! yellaf.gifwave.gif

I'm sorry you can't ski, Rudy. I know it makes you inferior, but I try not to rub it in. wave.gif

HA! I was talking about you ice climbing! But since you brought up skiing, do the attendents let another person on the lift when yo fatty arse gets on??? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifwave.gif

lets not talk about fat asses here the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifmy ass is NOT fat just well AMPLE grin.gif

Besides, plenty of alpine hardmen are big guys. Think Blanchard, Backes, etc. wave.gif

Barry Blanchard is not a big guy. He is short and wiry. poor you.

I still dont know how CBS thinks you can't back clip a Frog??? WTF? News flash the frog part goes on the bolt and the biner part goes on your rope.

Muffy: one thing to add to the above suggestions - I have all my runners set up such that the biners face the same way. So if you held one biner on its spine on the table at home, the other biner as well should be on its spine - not on its gate.

Then take these to the cliff and apply all the above advice. Try to picture this: If you are climbing at a sideways angle, you would want to clip the bolts from the side toward which you are rising. If you are climbing up and toward the right, you would clip from the right, the gates would face the left. You would clip the rope to the bottom biner left to right, from the rock and out. So if you layed the rope on the runner after you clipped the bottom biner, your rope would be on top of the runner, covering the webbing, and the top biner.

As you advance and pull the rope, the runners below will rotate and the biner on teh bolt will have its gate down and away from the bolt. The biner on the rope will have its spine against the rock, not risking the inadvertent nudge on the gate from the rock.

That's how I create consistency in my system...

Does this help?

Erden.

Muffy: one thing to add to the above suggestions - I have all my runners set up such that the biners face the same way. So if you held one biner on its spine on the table at home, the other biner as well should be on its spine - not on its gate.

Then take these to the cliff and apply all the above advice. Try to picture this: If you are climbing at a sideways angle, you would want to clip the bolts from the side toward which you are rising. If you are climbing up and toward the right, you would clip from the right, the gates would face the left. You would clip the rope to the bottom biner left to right, from the rock and out. So if you layed the rope on the runner after you clipped the bottom biner, your rope would be on top of the runner, covering the webbing, and the top biner.

As you advance and pull the rope, the runners below will rotate and the biner on teh bolt will have its gate down and away from the bolt. The biner on the rope will have its spine against the rock, not risking the inadvertent nudge on the gate from the rock.

That's how I create consistency in my system...

Does this help?

Erden.

actualy YES that does help. thank you for the mentle image thumbs_up.gif

Besides, plenty of alpine hardmen are big guys. Think Blanchard, Backes, etc. wave.gif

Barry Blanchard is not a big guy. He is short and wiry. poor you.

I still dont know how CBS thinks you can't back clip a Frog??? WTF? News flash the frog part goes on the bolt and the biner part goes on your rope.

WTF!!!!! Backclipping has nothing to do with the proside carabiner it has all to do with the rope side. So, yes you can back clip anything.

I know that. Where did I say you couldn't back clip it? Biners can come unclipped from bolts as well as the rope from the biner. It has happened. The Frog is equivalent to a locking biner on the bolt hanger.

Sling unclipping from biner.

Edited by catbirdseat

I lead a tiny bit this weekend. I did fine. I am starting to think it was an issue of being in the gym, and the clips being too close and it being noisey etc. I still need to work on my boldness as i think I can lead harder than I am now, but I had a good confidence building weekend. thanks for all the help and Dru thanks for all the beta about koala, climbing up there was just what I needed. It was quiet and beautiful and fun!!!!!!