Results of the poll on climbing ropes

rok

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, don't work. Besides, Terminal Gravity said it best when he said:

I want a rope that doesn't weigh anything, costs nothing, will hold any fall any amount of times and never tangles. DUH

So quit polling and get to work designing the rope.

YA!! I want that rope too grin.gif

For me the following was the most interesting result- that almost half of climbers don't know the significance of impact force. Since I must assume some of those who chose lower is better, did so at random, it may well be that the percentage who are clueless is actually greater than 50%.

The result shows that a huge percentage of the climbers think that the rope with the greater impact force is better. From that we cannot easily conclude that 45 % of the climbing population interprets this property wrongly because a higher impact force can be better in some cases, meaning lower elasticity (for example top rope climbing). However, in most cases a lower impact force is better and therefore this property is often misunderstood.

not on mine either?

Alpinfox...tell us what they say! Cut and paste brother.

Yeah, it's a bit much for cutting and pasting, but I found the demographic info about climbers the most interesting part. 90% of climbers who did the survey were male. Most climbers are Male!?!?? What a surprise! Sausagefest HCL.gif

Slovenia had a (modestly) higher percentage of female climbers, so if you are wookin' pa' nub', you might wanna get yerself over there.

Here is an interesting tidbit:

In the poll we asked the climbers which climbing activities do they participate in. We gave them four options to choose from. Here are the frequencies:

Climbing activites Number Percentage

Free climbing 902 95%

Indoor climbing 675 71%

Alpinism 554 58%

Ice climbing 338 38%

As can be seen from the data above, a very small percentage of climbers participate in just one activity. The climbers were able to choose any combination of the climbing activities above:

Climbing activites Number Percentage

Free climbing + Indoor climbing 281 29.49%

Free climbing + Indoor climbing + Alpinism + Ice climbing 206 21.62%

Free climbing + Indoor climbing + Alpinism 136 14.27%

Free climbing + Alpinism + Ice climbing 105 11.02%

Free climbing 72 7.56%

Free climbing + Alpinism 65 6.82%

Free climbing + Indoor climbing + Ice climbing 33 3.46%

Alpinism 19 1.99%

Alpinism + Ice climbing 12 1.26%

Indoor climbing 8 0.84%

Indoor climbing + Alpinism 6 0.63%

Indoor climbing + Alpinism + Ice climbing 5 0.52%

Free climbing + Ice climbing 4 0.42%

Ice climbing 1 0.10%

Indoor climbing + Ice climbing 0 0.00%

Another tidbit:

30 % of the population climb less than 50 days per year, 20 % climb between 50 and 70 days per year, another 15 % climb between 70 and 100 days per year. 14% of the climbers stated that they climb 100 days per year and the rest stated that they climb more than 100 days per year. Such a level of activity is of course possible only because of free and indoor climbing. The average is 78 days per year with a relatively large coefficient of variation 0,7.

I was surprised that people climb so much. Apparently nearly 30% of climbers (who responded to this poll anyway) climb 2 days/week or more on average throughout the year. I definately climb more than that, but I thought I was unusual. cantfocus.gif