cascade enduro hikes

glen

In the last couple of years I have developed a liking for long, fast day hikes. Preferably involving a little bit of class 3. I've heard a day hike through the Enchantments is a good one. Any others out there in the Cascades I should put on my summer to-do list?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here are a few suggestions:

Leroy Basin and Mt Maude scramble (the long gentle ridge off Maude). If you find yourself with time, scramble up Seven Fingered Jack too.

Spray Park - hike up from Mowich lake to the very base of Ptarmigan ridge (10,300 ft), and back down to the car (you can down a slightly differnt way to make it less of an out and back). This is similar to going to Muir from Paradise, but much more scenic, less crowded, and pleasantly cool even in Summer.

Mt David and Mt. Pugh are also good hikes. We've also done a trip which starts at Hex Mt and traverses past Sasse Mt to Jolly Mt and then down to Salmon La Sac. These trips require good snow conditions and an ice axe or should be saved for later in the season when they are clear.

quote:

Originally posted by glen:

In the last couple of years I have developed a liking for long, fast day hikes. Preferably involving a little bit of class 3. I've heard a day hike through the Enchantments is a good one. Any others out there in the Cascades I should put on my summer to-do list?

Greywolf area of the Olympics

Skip out of work after lunch between Aug - Nov and do Pilchuck. I'm serious. Break off the trail before crossing over to the south side and traverse under the lookout and onto the long ridge extending SE. There is great boulder hopping, little ponds, and excellent views the entire way. You can make it as long as you want - best of all there won't be anybody out there.

Seems like glen may be talking about thru-hikes rather than peaks. Here are a few ideas. Some include glacier crossings and/or car shuttles. I've only done a few of these.

* Church Mountain to Yellow Aster Butte.

* Ruth-Icy traverse, either out-and-back or drop into the Nooksack cirque and come out that way.

* Traverse from Sibley Pass to Eldorado Creek, optionally climbing Eldorado Peak on the way.

* Climb Sahale Peak from Boston Basin and descend Sahale Arm. (Not an enduro hike, but very nice.)

* Ptarmigan Traverse. This was crossed in a day on foot back in the 1980s before my brother and I did it on skis. I don't know the names of the guys who did it.

* Chiwawa Mountain loop, up via Spider Gap and Lyman Glacier, down via the south side.

* Snoqualmie Pass to somewhere around Cooper Lake (on the crest trail).

* Chinook Pass to Corral Pass. Or Chinook Pass to White Pass.

* Sections of the Wonderland Trail.

Trail runners sometimes do much longer days but it sounds like you're talking about hiking.

A long trail/run scramble I did in a day last year was American Ridge. Started at Goat Peak trailhead and finished at Peak 6162 above Cedar Lake doing a total of 8 peaks. Mostly class 2 and some class 3. About 35 miles. Came down the Mesatchee Creek to a bike where I rode it back to the Goat Peak trailhead.

Lots of peaks for class 3 scramble at Road's End at the end of Twisp River Road where you could easily connect them.

Hey thanks! Sounds like some great stuff. I definitely have a good list of to -do's as the trails/peaks clear up.

Stefan-That 35 miler sounds great- and like a pretty stout day. I'll have to get in a bit better shape for that one or plan on some [sleep] somewhere in the middle.

A good loop at Rainier is to hike up the Carbon River and head up so Seattle/Spray Parks, then over to Mowich and through Ipsut Pass to return. A nice "add-on" is Eunice Lake and Tolmie Peak before the exit through Ipsut Pass. A 2nd-class option is to hike through Knapsack Pass and scramble up Faye Peak on your way to Mowich Lake.

Olympic Mountains...Last June my brother and I hiked to Upper Lena Lake, then took the way trail that goes above Scout Lake and continued on XC to "St Peters Gate" on the side of Mount Stone. We then decended to Lake of the Angels and hiked out the Putvin Trail to the Hamma Hamma road. We had stashed mountain bikes at the Maple Creek washout and rode them back to the car at Lena trailhead. About 17 miles on foot...maybe 5 or 6 miles off trail...about 6000 total elev gain...mostly snow when we did it...took us about 12+ hrs. Nice scenery.

Aren't there issues w/ going thru the Indian Res. if you do around Adams?

Something that might be cool, I haven't done it, if you have 2 cars or you stashed a bike: do Del Campo from the S. Fork Stilly valley side, same trailhead as Headlee Pass. Descend to Gothic Basin and follow that trail out to Barlow Pass. Or you could continue up to Monte Cristo/Glacier Basin area. Heck, you could throw in Columbia Peak too, for a REALLY long day.