State Of The Union

EWolfe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody think Bush will take California? The conservative talk-radio spray this morning seemed pretty negative on Bush's approach to the illegal immigration situation. Outside of essentially importing cheap labor (which would make a small business owner happy), I'm not sure I understand what Bush has to gain with his approach. Do you think this will earn him a larger fraction of the hispanic vote?

and you dint even mention the california governors reliance on steroids to get him where he is today. thumbs_up.gif

Out of all the smarmy crap that Bush puts forth these days, I believe that the guest-worker policy is one thing that makes a lot of sense. What do you guys want...to continue to ignore the problem? If INS really pounced hard on industry, a huge number of business sectors would be crippled. Not just small business. Let's acknowledge that they are here, are needed, and let's get them here and back home in a managed way, instead of letting the existing underground system rip them off constantly.

what was with the woman who did the democratic rebuttal? she was horrible. ruined a perfectly good message and almost made me embarrassed to vote democrat!

Nancy Pelosi, the female Al "Woodenhead" Gore.

yellaf.gif that's it. house minority leader? she was awful. those eyes of hers are creepy.

All depends on the number of semi-illegals that vote,

dude. you fukin suck talkin that kina shit. we all are immigrants to this country. and btw you best believe that bush is not well liked in that massive country on our southern border. grin.gif

Hey genius, I didn't migrate here. I was born here. Hence, not an immigrant. We are *not* all immigrants. hellno3d.gif

Out of all the smarmy crap that Bush puts forth these days, I believe that the guest-worker policy is one thing that makes a lot of sense. What do you guys want...to continue to ignore the problem? If INS really pounced hard on industry, a huge number of business sectors would be crippled. Not just small business. Let's acknowledge that they are here, are needed, and let's get them here and back home in a managed way, instead of letting the existing underground system rip them off constantly.

So what you're saying is that we don't have enough workers to fill all of the jobs? Got to beg to differ on that.

It's not that we don't have enough people to fill the jobs. Unfortunately, we don't have enough people who will fill the jobs. Growing up in a society that tells you college is the only honorable option doesn't seem to produce a lot of fruit pickers. And if you don't want to work, you just go on welfare. Very convenient for the lazy, very difficult for the business owner.

We do not have enough people willing to take factory line jobs, maid service jobs in motels, etc. etc. Many of the people who could fill those jobs are not working. It is not just a matter of numbers of workers matching numbers of jobs...why explain further...you know what I mean.

So what you're saying is that we don't have enough workers to fill all of the jobs? Got to beg to differ on that.

Bush means we don't have enough cheap workers to fill all the jobs.

c'mon, catbird, you know it's not that simple. If you were out of work for 6 months but could get a job plucking chickens on the shackle line, or making beds in the Motel 6, would you do it? Of course not, if you at least are able to get unemployment until you find a job reasonably suited to your training.

My main concern is that this proposal will tend to foster the creation of an officially sactioned, permanent underclass, such as they have in Germany and Japan. In those countries there are large minorities of Turks and Koreans, respectively who can never become citizens. I believe that in both cases you cannot become a citizen even if you were born there, which is not the case here.

c'mon, catbird, you know it's not that simple. If you were out of work for 6 months but could get a job plucking chickens on the shackle line, or making beds in the Motel 6, would you do it? Of course not, if you at least are able to get unemployment until you find a job reasonably suited to your training.

Exactly.

My main concern is that this proposal will tend to foster the creation of an officially sactioned, permanent underclass, such as they have in Germany and Japan. In those countries there are large minorities of Turks and Koreans, respectively who can never become citizens. I believe that in both cases you cannot become a citizen even if you were born there, which is not the case here.

We already have an officially sanctioned permanent underclass. Citizenship doesn't seem to have changed all that.