Haul Bag

EV

I'm in the market for a haul bag.

I fairly new to aid climbing.

Will only be doing two day-one night routes (maybe three days and two nights if I'm too slow).

I'm not sure whether to go with a 4500 cubic inch bag on something like the Half Dome at 7600 cubic inches.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the second jumar with a pack, and then you won't need to spend the money on a haulbag. Besides, you can go lighter and faster climbing this way.

I've even done this with a portaledge in the pack. It makes you hungry for the lead after thrashing through a chimney section.

A specially designed haul bag is nice, because they are usually both waterproof and tough, and they have a straight profile that minimizes hanging up on overhangs or in cracks. But for many climbs, it really doesn't matter what you use for a haul bag. Even on three day climbs, I have used an army duffel bag with haul slings sewn to it, and I have also used a regular pack. Just be prepared for whatever you haul to get trashed.

I'd get the Half Dome. Why, cause I have one and it kicks ass.

I think that if you are spending one night on the wall, or two, you more or less have the same amount of stuff. Maybe more food and water, but that isn't super significant. Your bivi/storm gear is the stuff that takes up the most space, and that is a constant whether your on a grade V or VI.

The Half Dome works for everything. On grade VI's I use a smaller bag underneath with day stuff like lunch and water and rain gear. The Dome's straps are cush as well. Plus its short and fat, easy to reach the bottom.

Hope that Helps!

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:
Have the second jumar with a pack, and then you won't need to spend the money on a haulbag. Besides, you can go lighter and faster climbing this way.I've even done this with a portaledge in the pack. It makes you hungry for the lead after thrashing through a chimney section.

Man, fuck that...especially on a steep wall! I can see it working on the Liberty Bell, but for something like the Leaning Tower that would be a very bad idea, walls are suposed to be sort of fun, not miserable. Save the second some grief and haul the shit up.

For summer climbing I use a 4500 sack for 2. It is tight packing and sacrifices must be made but the nice light weight makes a big difference all around - approach, hauling, yes, sometimes jumaring, decending. It translates to speed vs comfort. I find enough comfort with a light bag, a coat and some food & water. I also have 1/8" insulite pads that I can fold to cover sharp objects. The bigger the bag, the more you can take.

Like Lambone, I say "HALF DOME". Why? Because I also have one and they are awesome. VERY well made.

I will say though, take a look at the YATES Fat sack...Yates Fat Sack of tha' kind!

The old Spaceshot haulnbags from ClimbMoab were the best deal period...if you can find one. ALso worth a look for the budget minded are the Fish bags. I've had some Fish gear and it's all been very good and reasonably priced. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Fish products.

Have fun and prepare for some PAIN! Oink oink!

quote:

Originally posted by Bug:
For summer climbing I use a 4500 sack for 2. It is tight packing and sacrifices must be made but the nice light weight makes a big difference all around - approach, hauling, yes, sometimes jumaring, decending. It translates to speed vs comfort. I find enough comfort with a light bag, a coat and some food & water. I also have 1/8" insulite pads that I can fold to cover sharp objects. The bigger the bag, the more you can take.

wooooorrrrddddd!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:
A 4500 ci haul bag could never hold enough malted beverages for summer climbing. And what about the ice? For Christ's sakes get a grip. What are you guys thinking about?

wooooorrrrrddddd!!!!!

EV:

I don't know crap about haul bags or aid climbing but, If i was buying one, I'd have to check out Black Diamond's line becasue they are priced a bit better than the one you mentioned.

BD Zion: 10,000 ci @ $170.00

Metolius El Cap: 9,600 ci @ $240.00

thier website is www.bdel.com

good luck, aid climbing is scary lookin shocked.gif" border="0