Bear Spray?

Doctorb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The following pictures are of a guy who works for the Forest Service in Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. The bear was over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. The bear had killed at least two people. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture below. The Forest Service found the unfortunate hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with the seven 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) it only wounded the bear - and probably angered it.

Dr b I published this stuff months ago. You should of looked in the gallery b/4 Snoboy deleted it as none climbing related. hahahahaha...But thanks for doing this again as it shows what these city slickers here in the PNW think is a good thing to carry. Most believe that a 44 mag is good enough and it ain't unless you have nerves of fucking steel and you are a perfect off the cuff shot.

Me, I'll stick with the 12 ga and the arrangement of buck shot to slug I was taught by the real professionals...fish counters.

How about it Dutch and Glacierdog?

Missed it months ago, sorry.

I don't think I'd ever go into the woods up there without a fucking cannon, after seeing these pictures. What's truly amazing is how many times the bear got shot without stopping.

sisu: what's the slug/buckshot arrangement you're talking about?

Shot gun for the alskan BC.... buckshot - slug - buckshot - slug - buckshot .... Shot buckshot into the face, slug into the chest, buckshot to the face, slug in the chest, and then finally another to the grill.....

That what we were tought when I lived in Juneau....

Fejas said:

Shot gun for the alskan BC.... buckshot - slug - buckshot - slug - buckshot .... Shot buckshot into the face, slug into the chest, buckshot to the face, slug in the chest, and then finally another to the grill.....

That what we were tought when I lived in Juneau....

Pretty much the same Fejas, except I like the last two to be buck shot. My buddy Randy was taught this when working for Fish and Game as a fisheries biologist counting salmon in the Naknik to Dillingham area; big bears and big country. I guess the thought behind it is this: since these last two will be real close the buck shot will tear and rip more flesh and vital material if the shots are in the neck-chest area or even right in the bloody mouth. Either way these last two will be the do or die shots for either or both. All I have to say is I am glad I have NEVER had a bear get this serious. All my encounters have been turned back with a shot in the ground at the front feet or over the back and in one case throwing rocks and yelling(this one scared me real good).

I always get a kick out of hearing from the blast'em crowd on dealing w/ grizzly bear. Statistically, you are so much safer in a bear encounter w/o a gun. I bet that dead hiker's biggest mistake was shooting at the bear. 8-9 out of 10 charges are bluff charges and when he shot it ,his chances of getting what he got went up to nearly a sure thing because now the griz feels the pain, is more threatened and has to protect itself at close range. Grizzly bears are not the psycho beasts that hollywood creates them to be. I've been in numerous close encounters w/ gizzly bears up in AK (over 80-90)while fly fishing/hiking and never had a bad encounter. Some at less than 10 ft. and ,yes, the adrenaline is going, for sure but never anything threatening. If you make human noises, stand your ground when needed, back away when needed and don't tickle their fur with slugs from .44's then those are your best chances of coming out alive. More people get killed by the neighbor's pet dog than grizzly bears in AK BY FAR and you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than mauled by a bear... keep that in mind, as well. Some Fish and Game people I hung out w/ said to drop a griz before it can get to you, you basically have to start shooting before it even moves toward you and even then if is not a perfect brain shot then it will still get to you. So, it's pretty much ridiculous because most of them will run so fast away from you or ignore you,if given the chance.

MR. GRIZ,

No one that I know of on this site during this discussion or other bear/gun cal choice has advocated the killing of bears. The discussion has always been as far as I know what IF you need to shoot then what cal should you use.

Bears are like people; some are just dang shit heads and will do stuff that 90% of the others will not. Point being; better have the right stuff if all hell breaks loose.

Personally I know two people that were mauled. The first guy was going into a cabin north-west of Talkeetna to stock up for the coming winter. He met Mr. Bear while he was on low ground and Mr. Bear was on high ground. He had no gun assumed all was OK since al previous encounters were benign. He survived but took a 30-day stay in the Fairbanks hospital and years of corrective surgery.

The second guy got it this fall. He was moose hunting did not see or hear the bear until it was on him. He also survived but again will take a few years of surgery to correct the damage.

Another friend was moose hunting near Glacier when he met a grizzly. This old boar was on high ground when he spotted Ron. Ron did the usual, yelled, stomped around, waved his arms, etc. The bear just took off down hill and kept coming. Ron finally stopped him with 4 shots from his 7mm. Mr. Bear was 12 feet from Ron when it was over. By the way Mr. Bear squared out at 10x10.

I’d rather be prepared than mauled or dead, each to his and her own.

moon.gif

I think you have misunderstood my post because I am mostly talking about when the shit hits the fan, as well. The rest is about the "the gun will save me" mentality. You have two different views: the people who carry a gun for protection and as the solution and those who think "riding out the storm" is the better way to go(playing dead,ect) for ultimately surviving the situation. I think the gun gives you a false of security and increases your chances of getting hurt by the bear or even shooting yourself or someone else during the attack. With all due respect to your hunting friend, did his rifle help him much?Didn't sound like it but maybe it did... Most of the time it happens too quick to react to with a gun. As a hunter he is doing everything wrong to avoid bear encounters...he's moving quiet, probably moving downwind, ect. He has to assume responsiblity for the extra risk he's taking in griz territory. Did he struggle the whole time trying to shoot it(most likely extending the attack) or just play dead when it was on him(shortening the attack)? Or if a friend is getting mauled ,are you really going to risk shooting at the bear while your friend/loved one is being tossed around like a rag doll, perhaps getting flipped in the line of fire? Will you remember if your next shot is a slug or buckshot and fill your buddy/loved one w/ buckshot?Or that shooting bears pisses them off more and makes it worse?All I'm saying is that I think people are safer w/o a gun in those fucked up situtaions and by following the submisive/play dead idea. Lots of beta says that is the best way to survive and from everything I've seen,heard and researched...I agree.

Also, w/ your bud Ron's situation...most charges end in a bluff and they pull out within the last few feet especially if they are not being threatened by being shot or a person is still standing in aggressive position(instead of a fetal/dead position). Your friend had every right to shoot the bear,though.