Pins, who carries 'em and what kind?

Toast

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've owned a number of different Ti rock pins. I've been real happy witht the strength and durability of all of them. Since I'm not using them for big wall nail ups, mine probably don't get hammered on that much. From the hammering I have done with mine alpine climbing, I'm impressed with their toughness.

David_Parker said:

For Alpine climbs in winter, wart-hogs work in frozen dirty, mossy cracks. I carry a baby angle, a kb, 2 tricams red and purple) and one of those russian ice screws on my harness regardless if I'm leading or following. I figure one of them will work in an emergency.

Ade mentioned wart-hogs once. Please explain what they are. Also, am I correct in assuming that the Russian screws are for bailing or for screwing into ice filled cracks (which will ruin the screw), when all else fails?

I hooked a spectre over a flake once and ran it out 60 feet on mixed ground

my sphincter nearly failed but the spectre stayed hooked on the flake even though the line traversed a fair bit to gain verglas.

i think spectres are cool but the DMM ice hook is way better, for one thing it weighs half as much!