On the true nature of cc.comers

catbirdseat

I had an interesting chat with someone in the Chat is so Frikin Suck...Room. I will not say who this person was, but what they said. This person is a lurker who has not posted once. They said that all people who post regularly on cc.com are assholes. Eveyone is abusive and likes to be abused. We're "all mean".

Now I've seen this person in chat before and they admitted to having joined about a year ago. I was trying to explain that not everyone is an asshole, but I wasn't getting through. I asked if they had ever been to Pub Club and the answer was no and they wouldn't want to meet any of you- in so many words-scum buckets, either.

Now it sounds to me like this person is actually trying to get up the nerve to post for the first time. We are pretty easy on newbies, aren't we? Like you get ten or twenty free posts where you get treated with kid gloves.

This person was interested in how people get "kicked out" (banned). They seemed to think it was a pretty arbitrary process. Is it? I said I thought those who got banned generally deserved it.

We talked about climbing gyms. This person hates them. Hates chalk dust, hates rap. We have that in common. There are other things but I don't want to give away this person's gender.

To make a long story short. Sometimes you can learn things and meet new people in the Chat is So Frikin Suck you are all so suck room.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

NCM, you can do better than that, Mr Milqtoast. So you think my chat pal was dead on the mark?

I think this time of year everyone is finding ways to fill cc.com with other stuff other than climbing. You know the weather sucks right now. thumbs_down.gif

Anyways, we all fall down (or stoop) every once and a while. I just did it on the last post. hahaha.gif

And we should care because?

If someone is too fragile to post on a freakin internet bulletin board, where they could be anonymous if they so chose, for fear of being flamed, they're definitely too fragile to tie into a rope with me.

Catturd, do you ever realize how much shit here just goes completely over your head? I don't mean intelligence, I mean either generation gap, or "square factor". I don't know your age, but I'm guessing generation gap.

Like it's big news that we're assholes? Most climbers I know can (and when the situation calls for it are) as respectful and upstanding as the next guy. We can be crude with each other because we've seen through the basic bullshit involved in day to day society. When the chips are down, niceties don't mean shit. Climbing is a game where the cost of total failure is death...that tends to cut out all the superficial bullshit that most of society stays emerged in.

If you can't deal with something as silly as the tone of some words written in cyberspace, what the fuck are you gonna do when the storm breaks and you're on day 3 of no food, your partner has just passed out, and it's a 25 mile cross country trek to the nearest help? You gonna go to the chat room and work up the courage to post. Jeez-zus H on a popsickle stick, whadya want a blankie?

willstrickland said:

And we should care because?

If someone is too fragile to post on a freakin internet bulletin board, where they could be anonymous if they so chose, for fear of being flamed, they're definitely too fragile to tie into a rope with me.

Catturd, do you ever realize how much shit here just goes completely over your head? I don't mean intelligence, I mean either generation gap, or "square factor". I don't know your age, but I'm guessing generation gap.

Like it's big news that we're assholes? Most climbers I know can (and when the situation calls for it are) as respectful and upstanding as the next guy. We can be crude with each other because we've seen through the basic bullshit involved in day to day society. When the chips are down, niceties don't mean shit. Climbing is a game where the cost of total failure is death...that tends to cut out all the superficial bullshit that most of society stays emerged in.

If you can't deal with something as silly as the tone of some words written in cyberspace, what the fuck are you gonna do when the storm breaks and you're on day 3 of no food, your partner has just passed out, and it's a 25 mile cross country trek to the nearest help? You gonna go to the chat room and work up the courage to post. Jeez-zus H on a popsickle stick, whadya want a blankie?

Pink and blue, please. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

What are you talking about, Will?

We're all a buch of badasses who don't fear being flamed, because "climbing is a game where the cost of total failure is death?" Get a grip.

"Most climbers I know can (and when the situation calls for it are) as respectful and upstanding as the next guy?" I would like to think so, but I don't see this on cc.com.

"If you can't deal with something as silly as the tone of some words written in cyberspace, what the fuck are you gonna do when the storm breaks and you're on day 3 of no food, your partner has just passed out, and it's a 25 mile cross country trek to the nearest help?" Look around, Will -- we're on a chat room here. I have never been on day three with no food and a 25 mile hike to the nearest help with you -- and probably never will be -- but I have shared the computer screen with you many times.

I agree sort of with your message -- but get over yourself, huh?

C'mon MattP, why you always gotta be the voice of reason? Anyone posting shit this late...and I'm an hour behind you, should be good and drunk.

I'm saying climbing is intense, so are the climbers. You can check your societal niceties at the door.

Yes, we can be, and are, upstanding. But OF COURSE you don't see it here because we're among our bretheren and the inane customs of "civilized" society aren't required. Well gawwwwlllleeee, SHAZAMMM!! Surprise, surprise surprise!

And tell me Matt, if you drop your parter to the deck from a mere 70ft, what are the survival odds? How about 150ft? Not too good I'd reckon. But shit, what do I know? I'm not a lawyer afterall, just a hick engineer. Now back to more pressing matters...like the rest of this pint of Wassail bigdrink.gif

Actually MattP, I think a more fitting reply on my part in light of this thread would be:

the_finger.gif Piss off Kris Kringle! We know you'd just whistle for the flying reindeer to snatch your snapperhead pussified "I want my mommy" partner and your red-suit wearing clownpunching elf raping fat ass off the mountain. Once again St Nick the_finger.gif