Hantavirus Death

Figger_Eight

Dunno if it's been posted yet, but it looks like the snaffles are striking back frown.gif

Hantavirus case in Mt. Vernon

Tests confirm hantavirus in college student's death

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MOUNT VERNON -- The death of a community college soccer player here marks the first known case of hantavirus in Skagit County.

Garrett Chase, 21, a student at Skagit Valley College, died a week ago, just days after he was taken to a hospital for vomiting and diarrhea.

State Health Department tests confirmed the presence of hantavirus, said Peter Browning, director of the Skagit County Health Department. The hantavirus infection is spread by the common deer mouse.

"It's pretty rare for this area," he said. "We knew it was in the mouse population a while ago, and we can assume there were cases in the past, but none verified by a lab."

County health department investigators hope to identify where Chase may have been exposed to the virus. Because the disease cannot be spread through human contact, local residents should not become alarmed, Browning said.

Migrant workers and people who work around barns where deer mice could be present are among those most at risk for contracting the virus.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bug said:

It has to be dry shit doesn't it? Isn't it the rat shit dust that people inhale? So the virus could have been around here for a long time but just never got airborne until this very dry summer we had. But what do I know? I'm a dung beetle.

Yeah...you can catch it from the dust of dry mouse shit. I'm always thinking about this whenever I go into a fire lookout or old builiding in the backcountry.

rr666 said:

That is some scary shit. a friend of mine in high school died from the hantavirus. He caught what was like a really bad cold, went to the hospital, a day later he died... Survival rate is not good. frown.gif Makes you think twice when you see a pile of snaf.gif shit.

rr, sounds like Eli Hattamer. Sorry, man. I take it you're a Spokane boy and went to LC? This news story of the college soccer player brings back memories. Eli's death was especially tragic--probably like Garrett Chase of SVC--because it struck someone young, vital, a friend to many, and one who had hopes and dreams for what would have been a great life. Eli was about to graduate from SPU, and, I understand, was working with friends to clean out an old, dirty warehouse building in Seattle to remodel and live in. Was at least 5 years ago.

I didn't know Eli well, but he was a positive person with a funny sense of humor. He loved climbing, including doing big walls. His eagerness to tackle the big and hard on the Captain was impressive. While he grew up here in Spokane, I didn't meet him until down in the Valley. Eli, your spirit lives on.

Be careful out there when cleaning up.

pindude said:

rr666 said:

That is some scary shit. a friend of mine in high school died from the hantavirus. He caught what was like a really bad cold, went to the hospital, a day later he died... Survival rate is not good. frown.gif Makes you think twice when you see a pile of snaf.gif shit.

rr, sounds like Eli Hattamer. Sorry, man. I take it you're a Spokane boy and went to LC? This news story of the college soccer player brings back memories. Eli's death was especially tragic--probably like Garrett Chase of SVC--because it struck someone young, vital, a friend to many, and one who had hopes and dreams for what would have been a great life. Eli was about to graduate from SPU, and, I understand, was working with friends to clean out an old, dirty warehouse building in Seattle to remodel and live in. Was at least 5 years ago.

I didn't know Eli well, but he was a positive person with a funny sense of humor. He loved climbing, including doing big walls. His eagerness to tackle the big and hard on the Captain was impressive. While he grew up here in Spokane, I didn't meet him until down in the Valley. Eli, your spirit lives on.

Be careful out there when cleaning up.

I think he actually was cleaning some stuff up back home, not in seattle...had just come back from an excellent trip to yosemite and then wham...

He was excellent with the junior team and teaching kids and had actually finished a degree in electrical engineering...

I miss eli...

Edited by RuMR