Middle Fork Snoqualmie River tree planting

Dave_Schuldt

Firm Your Fins!

Free Opportunities to Shovel Your Way to Fitness!

Help restore prime habitat on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, and get

some fresh air and exercise while you're at it.

Don't miss this fun opportunity to join other volunteers planting native

trees and shrubs along the Snoqualmie River.

November 1, 2003, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM

Planting along the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River at Three Forks Natural

Area...at the base of Mt. Si!!

Take I-90 East to North Bend exit 31. At the end of the off ramp, turn

left onto North Bend Blvd, then right onto North Bend Way, and left onto

Ballarat Ave. Ballarat curves right, becomes NE 6th Street, then makes a

sharp left and becomes 428th Ave SE. Take 428th Ave SE across the Middle

Fork Bridge and follow the signs.

For all event, bring:

* shovel and gloves

* mug

* lunch and water

Light refreshments will be provided

Wear: old "work clothes" and rubber boots or heavy shoes.

Dress for the weather - we will plant rain or shine!

To reserve your spot or for more information, call Elizabeth Loudon at

206-263-6014 or email elizabeth.loudon@m....

Volunteers under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

All volunteers must sign a waiver form, those under 18 must have a form

signed by their parents. To get a form in advance, go to

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/pi/waiver.htm or contact Elizabeth Loudon.

For more volunteer opportunities check out our web site at

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/pi/calendar.htm

Reasonable accommodations and alternative text formats will be provided

to people with disabilities upon request. Voice: 206-263-6014 Elizabeth

Loudon

TTY: 711 Relay Services

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...it's cool that the gov is getting kind people to wield tools of torture for free, but as I'm currently getting paid $12.50/hr to plant shubbery (although I do have to bring my own sack lunch), the selfish capitalist in me hates to see productive markets undercut by well-meaning samaritans.

It reminds me of when I was once an "Ecology Youth At Work." Instead of paying people (or compelling convicts) to pick up trash along the interstate, they just had us school kids schlep along in the trash filled median of I-5, wobbling from the blowback of speeding 18-wheelers, snot freezing our gloves to our faces, our ill-sized orange vests flapping like sails---all the while us this was part of our field biology class and a valuable two bird killing community service to boot.

So go, plant your shubbery in the rain and make salmon feel all groovy in their new habitat, but realize that you are killing us shub planters with your fishy kindness. And also ponder the damage that you are doing to our yongest generation, depriving them of the character building experience of being an Ecology Youth At Work.

Uncle_Tricky said:

Hmmm...it's cool that the gov is getting kind people to wield tools of torture for free, but as I'm currently getting paid $12.50/hr to plant shubbery (although I do have to bring my own sack lunch), the selfish capitalist in me hates to see productive markets undercut by well-meaning samaritans.

It reminds me of when I was once an "Ecology Youth At Work." Instead of paying people (or compelling convicts) to pick up trash along the interstate, they just had us school kids schlep along in the trash filled median of I-5, wobbling from the blowback of speeding 18-wheelers, snot freezing our gloves to our faces, our ill-sized orange vests flapping like sails---all the while us this was part of our field biology class and a valuable two bird killing community service to boot.

So go, plant your shubbery in the rain and make salmon feel all groovy in their new habitat, but realize that you are killing us shub planters with your fishy kindness. And also ponder the damage that you are doing to our yongest generation, depriving them of the character building experience of being an Ecology Youth At Work.

yellaf.gif

Uncle_Tricky said:

Don't worry most of the trees will die, and then they'll have to hire you.