$300 device changes red traffic lights to green

scrambler

I could use one of these things during rush hour.evils3d.gif

smallmirt.jpg

"Tired of sitting at endless red lights? Frustrated by lights that turn from green to red too quickly, trapping you in traffic?"

"Now anyone can breeze through congested intersections just like the police, thanks to a $300 dashboard device that changes traffic lights from red to green, making nasty commutes a thing of the past and leaving other drivers open-mouthed at your ability to manipulate traffic."

link to news story

This device known as MIRT, mobile infrared transmitter, emits a beam with a 1,500-foot range to a receiver installed at the intersection, which changes the light immediately, allowing an intersection to clear before a fire or rescue truck approaches.

More info here

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

In Canada, even radar detectors are illegal, are they not?

It varies from province to province, depending on each jurisdiction's Motor Vehicles Act. In BC they're legal, in Alberta they're not (or vice-versa, maybe? Don't quote me in court, 'cause there's a good chance I've got it backwards). I'm pretty sure radar jammers are illegal in all provinces, but not detectors.

Off_White said:

Around Olympia the lights on a lot of main streets have a sensor that responds to something that looks like a strobelight. Lights and sirens WILL get you through the stoplights, but its faster and safer if you can make them green in the direction the emergency vehicle travels.

Back in the midwest someone showed me how flashing my headlights between lowbeams and highbeams about 6 times in quick succession could change traffic lights from red to green....seriously. I tried it a few times, seemed to work best a few hundred feet from the intersections. Haven't tried it out here in the PacNW.

murraysovereign said:

catbirdseat said:

In Canada, even radar detectors are illegal, are they not?

It varies from province to province, depending on each jurisdiction's Motor Vehicles Act. In BC they're legal, in Alberta they're not (or vice-versa, maybe? Don't quote me in court, 'cause there's a good chance I've got it backwards). I'm pretty sure radar jammers are illegal in all provinces, but not detectors.

The detectors are illegal in Mannitoba, that's all I know.

Hey Thinker, just don't try flashing your brights six times with any cops around.

Thinker said:

Off_White said:

Around Olympia the lights on a lot of main streets have a sensor that responds to something that looks like a strobelight. Lights and sirens WILL get you through the stoplights, but its faster and safer if you can make them green in the direction the emergency vehicle travels.

Back in the midwest someone showed me how flashing my headlights between lowbeams and highbeams about 6 times in quick succession could change traffic lights from red to green....seriously. I tried it a few times, seemed to work best a few hundred feet from the intersections. Haven't tried it out here in the PacNW.

i was told that in the midwest as well.....crazy midwesterners!

I just gotta wonder how many of you break the law every single day while you're speeding in traffic. Not that I advocate such things, but to my knowledge this device is still legal and it also does not come under the jurisdiction of the FCC because it does not emit radio signals.

Here's an example where the laws have not caught up with the technology. Maybe this goes against your basic sense of fairness but we all know that the world is unfair.

Again, I do not condone the breaking of any existing traffic laws, but I think it is an insult to a person's intelligence to obey the law merely because it is the law. There are scores of bad or ridiculous laws still on the books, e.g., concerning oral sex in some states, that are best ignored. Bad laws make criminals of everyone and reduces respect for law in general.

scrambler

this would be considered tampering of a public safety device. so that makes it illegal. now for the law to prosicute you, they would obviously need to offer up proof that you actually did it. but i imagine that having the device is proof enough for the court in most cases.

hopefully something will be done with crap like this. these are things in which do not happen often, but when do tend to have catastrophic results.

thumbs_down.gif

i am talking state or county or city laws not federal

owning the device could prove that you did it.....you know change the light.....

like say if you used your dumb device and a car who legally and technically had the right away could not stop in time and there was injuries or death or even just material damage....you could and should be liable. and owing the device shows that you have the ability to change the light and thus creating the mva.

i dont know about the fcc regs on that shit nor do i care...i am talking from a local/interpersonal stance

scrambler said:

So, no specific law or traffic regulations can be cited. Good enough.

Is a city or county liable when the use of this device in an emergency vehicle causes an accident?

What if you're sitting at an intersection and you don't see any cars coming?

Just run the damn RED...Sheesh.. hahaha.gif