Sleeping bags

eternalX

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I slept only slightly warm in a zero at about 20 degrees a couple of weekends ago. Never thought I'd have a need for anything below a 20, but I do sleep on the cold side, and think the 30 degree bag is out the window, and that I will just go with a zero and a fifteen.

I do have a silk bag liner on the way, which theoretically adds 9 degrees of warmth, will be interested to see if it is enough to keep me just a scosh warmer for very little weight.

marylou, i am a fan of bag liners, especially if it zips all the way up the side to about your shoulder. i get in with long underwear on and then usually strip down to nothing inside bag liner and can then feel the bag warming up quickly with my heat coming back at me from inside of bag.

i just counted 10 sleeping bags in my closest. 4 are crappy rectangular shaped 'camping' bags inherited through a series of vacation trips with family (and they all have a vague whiff of urine about them from the wee children who have used them madgo_ron.gif ). 2 mec kids bags that go about 20 degrees and are sweet little bags. another 20 degree synthetic bag from kelty (my goto bag for most shit). an ancient tnf cats meow complete with ember burn holes and funky zipper relacement. a -30 marmot penguin down bag that i usually wish i was in when i find myself freezing in the kelty bag. a -30 tangerine trip synthetic monster that packs down to a trim 30"X16" pig and weighs a ton but outperforms anything else for superlong basecamp kina lounging. most of em are stuffed into bags and act as 'furniture'. yelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

A couple of years ago I bought a Feathered Friends 700+ fill bag (forget the name). I think it's rated to -15. I like lots of room to move around, but don't like big bags, so I have always slept with the bags unzipped and draped over me. That doesn't work so well with the higher temp-rated bags. Also, I HATE being cold in my sleep.

My $.02.

Bag liners get damp and skanky thumbs_down.gif

But you don't have to wash the sleeping bag as often just the liner thumbs_up.gif

So is a less comfortable sleep (for reasons Josh noted) worth it? Your call. I hate liners, VBL, silk or whatever. bUt if they work for you then fine.