Beckey documentary?

goatboy

I received an email about a year ago stating that the Fred Beckey documentary, which was then in production, may be released at the Telluride Mountainfilm festival this May.

Last I heard, the filmmaker was going to Europe to try to interview some of Beckey's old climbing partners (Heinrich Harrer and maybe Helmy?)

I have received no further info, and wonder if any of you folks know what's up with that -- if the movie will be in Telluride, or if it's not ready yet. [Wazzup]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Helmy is still alive. I heard he was an underwear model for years! The two bros do not get along anymore frown.gif" border="0 and never climbed since the 50's. i guess we are gonna have to see the film to find out why. any guesses? maybe helmy peed in freds bong?

I know vaguely the guy making this film and I know they did interview Helmy but dont know if it (film) is finished yet. Maybe they will interview Ray now?

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

dude at the coffeeshop I frequent is a filmmaker. He knows I climb and so mentioned to me that his filmmaker buddies are now ramping up their effort to produce the documentary.

I ran into him just this morning and he told me.

Sounds like its getting started in earnest.-Dox

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: dkemp ]

Here's my version of his documentary:

HEY FRED! WHICH ROUTE YOU WANNA TICK?

Huh did you say chicks?

FRED, YOU GOT ME ON BELAY?

Wha? I know your name is Ray? Where are those chicks you were talking about?

NEVERMIND. [big Drink]

HEY, FRED WHAT ROUTE IS GOOD AROUND HERE FOR TOMORROW?

Just look in my book uhuh. They're in there.

YEAH THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Them girls over there look pretty cute. Good eye Ray.

YEAH OK. HOW ABOUT YOUR BROTHER HELMEY? YOU CLIMB WITH HIM MUCH.

Nope, he lives in Germany. I am going to see if I can get that one gals phone #.

OK FRED BUT SHE IS KIND OF FAT!

Huh, you say something?

I SAID YOU GO DO THAT! TELL HER TO MEET US AT THE PUB LATER!

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:
Hundreds of First Ascents, Hundreds of Women. . . . The Life and Times of the Ultimate Dirtbag Climber

I wondered about the third hand FB stories I'd listened to until 1985 when I spotted FB driving through JTree in a pink convertible cadillac with a gorgeous young blond. Was that Dick Cilleys car? or maybe that spiderman guy Dan Goodwins?

South Park- Hmmm, my fav episode is the one where the parents are all arrested and in jail for "molesstering" so that the gang can go to the raging butthole concert. South Park slips into anarchy and every day a kid is sacrificed to the great provider ( statue of John Elroy).

I think cc.com should follow this fine example and sacrifice a member every day

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
"wolfgang"
wink.gif" border="0

Are you pseaking of "Wolf" of red rock fame? I met this old guy named wold in Red Rocks this spring. The guy that was droppping me off had met him that winter. I guess several people have run into this guy. He's famous for mooching food and camp spots, sandbaging climbs he wants s top rope on, and eyeing young girls. Anyone else climb with this guy?

quote:

Originally posted by max:

Are you pseaking of "Wolf" of red rock fame? I met this old guy named wold in Red Rocks this spring. The guy that was droppping me off had met him that winter. I guess several people have run into this guy. He's famous for mooching food and camp spots, sandbaging climbs he wants s top rope on, and eyeing young girls. Anyone else climb with this guy?

No, I was referring to the W in Fred W Beckey! But dont call him Wolfgang cause he hates that name! Probably related to growing up German in American prior to WWII.