The Book of Twight and the Ice Cube Tray

Formaldehead

In the Book of Twight, there is a picture of his partner rappelling off of a giant ice stalagmite. "We have no idea where the feature came from."

Twice now, I've had ice stalagmites sprout up from individual ice cubes in my ice cube tray. They've formed these features from below, seeming to grow up, rather than the normal stalagmite formation through deposition mechanism.

Now that I've found the answer to Twight's mystery, should I write a book about "Medicore Alpinism"? I'll autograph each copy purchased through me on this website. I'll even make T-Shirts. Takers?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Formaldehead said:

Figger_Eight said:

"Medicore Alpinism"

You can follow that one up with a "Medicore Spelling" book. yellaf.gif

"Medicore" is like "Hardcore", but more harder. Fool.

i thought it was media and hardcore all wrapped into one.

What about Medio-Core?

Medio-core, it's not forsaken

the music they're makin'

will leave you with a feeling

of indifference

How was the band?

They were OK (Ohhh-Kaaaayyy, allll-riiiiight)

they played the songs

I knew they would

some old, some new

the same formula stays true

we can't concur

it's mediocre

Chorus:

Sing, sing a song

make it simple

so all the kids can sing along

sing along

the risk keeps growin'

the melodies they've stolen

remind me of songs

sung in the '70s

you might fool the kids

but you don't fool me

have you ever heard of

somethin' called aboriginality?

is it absurd

to compose music

no one's ever heard

pre-

dictability

like a bosom

will comfort the-e-em

my one true foe

L(owest) C(ommon) D(enominator)

MEDIO-CORE!

it's underpowered

the riffs are all deflowered

it's spreading faster

than british tooth decay

(MEDIO-CORE)

"Are you ready to rock?"

"How y'all doin' tonight?"

You condescending fucks

make me wanna laugh and puke at the same time

I'm one

to speak

this song sounds like fifty

you've heard before

Medio-Core

(Chorus)

Formaldehead said:

In the Book of Twight, there is a picture of his partner rappelling off of a giant ice stalagmite. "We have no idea where the feature came from."

Twice now, I've had ice stalagmites sprout up from individual ice cubes in my ice cube tray. They've formed these features from below, seeming to grow up, rather than the normal stalagmite formation through deposition mechanism.

Now that I've found the answer to Twight's mystery, should I write a book about "Medicore Alpinism"? I'll autograph each copy purchased through me on this website. I'll even make T-Shirts. Takers?

I have seen this too. I think that differential cooling on the exterior creates internal pressure that forces the liquid H20 out through small fissures in the surface, at which point it freezes. I think that this dynamic probably occurs anywhere ice envelops liquid water...

JayB said:

Formaldehead said:

I have seen this too. I think that differential cooling on the exterior creates internal pressure that forces the liquid H20 out through small fissures in the surface, at which point it freezes. I think that this dynamic probably occurs anywhere ice envelops liquid water...

Such as a water-filled crevasse. When the temperature drops, and the water starts to freeze in the crevasse, SUDDENLY, ice phallus rap anchor.

Formaldehead said:

Such as a water-filled crevasse. When the temperature drops, and the water starts to freeze in the crevasse, SUDDENLY, ice phallus rap anchor.

that or it espys a particularly bodacious glacier acroos the valley showin' some slippery crevasse... hahaha.gif

JayB said:

Formaldehead said:

But water expands as it freezes. It's actually most dense at 4 deg C when it's in this weird slushy kind of icy kind of state. I guess I don't understand. confused.gif

bunglehead said:

JayB said:

Formaldehead said:

But water expands as it freezes. It's actually most dense at 4 deg C when it's in this weird slushy kind of icy kind of state. I guess I don't understand. confused.gif

Ice-cubes freeze from the outside in, and the expansion - I would bet - creates additional pressure on the liquid water in the interior....

JayB said:

Formaldehead said:

No, no, no. That's all wrong. See, I was there and we get to the top of this huge serac and Mark says, "hey, how about we get outa here, this climb is way too easy". So, I'm like, "yeah, its pretty lame let's just rap our way down" so we turn around and there's like, no rap anchors anywhere. We were so scared. One minute we're having a great time, the next, here's Dr. Doom rearing it's ugly head. So with a surge of adrenaline, I totally flip out and chop the shit out of the big serac and carve it into the form of a big icicle and stab it into the snow over where it would be useful. Mark was like totally pissed and was like "hey man, that's not cool, you just wasted that whole serac and now it's gone for future generations to climb" . He was so pissed that he even decided to spite me and leave me outa his book despite putting a picture of the icicle I carved in there. I guess I'm too extreme. madgo_ron.gif

bunglehead said:

Really? Ice cubes freeze from the outside in? Because in my freezer, I can have a thin layer of ice on top of not yet frozen water, which would seem to indicate that they freeze from the oustide in, and not vice versa. (that's my big college sounding word for the day, vice versa)

I think we are saying the same thing - the exterior surfaces freeze first....

water isn't slush at 4 degree celsius, that's almost fourty degree american!

Water becomes fraziil at about a half a degree cent, or so, but ice is less dense than water, thats for sure, so maybe water is densest at 4 degree cedlsius but it sure isn't slushy- we'd surf 3 degree celsius lake superior and ice was not an issue.