RuMR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

erik said:

bobbyp thew down a real jauntlet!!! who will free thin red line? cpb? rumr? micro? the guides from mazama?? an outside source?? only time will tell.....................

who will free it without adding a bunch o' bolts? alex huber styleeeeee?

extensive TRing and preinspection is also common before bolting in order to find out where to place the bolts.....

the headpoint is a respected and inspiring traditional tactic! altho not as good as an onsight, of course

don't forget good ol COBRA CRACK at Squamish. could it be the PNW's first legit (not a bunch of lamo pin scars) trad 5.14?

am not against preinspection but I do think that tr’ing and preinspection combined to create runout routes is BS and will eventually be seen as a bogus way to climb.

Certainly Huber's ascents are impressive. I have even posted some of his achievements on this site. I just happen to think that he looses some style points sometimes.

What is the deal w/ Cobra crack? I saw it mentioned on another board but didn't read the thread.

Peter_Puget said:

but I do think that tr’ing and preinspection combined to create runout routes is BS and will eventually be seen as a bogus way to climb.

The point is not to "create runout routes" but to "respect the original ascent style by avoiding the addition of new fixed gear which would detract from the original ascent".

Runouts are a part of climbing. If you can't deal with them, maybe you should focus on the existing climbs which are well protected, or on establishing NEW well protected climbs, instead of adding protection to an existing climb to bring it within your comfort threshold? Just a thought, cause for some people head control during a difficult runout is an integral part of the climbing experience.

As for Cobra Crack - everyone from Peter Croft thru Hamish, Greg, Jim Sandford, to the newest hotshots on da scene like Andrew Boyd and Jordan Wright, have tried to free it - no dice so far. severely overhanging to roof rattle fingers with no feet. Fun clean aid though! Hangs way out over the trail. thumbs_up.gif

Dru said:

Peter_Puget said:

but I do think that tr’ing and preinspection combined to create runout routes is BS and will eventually be seen as a bogus way to climb.

The point is not to "create runout routes" but to "respect the original ascent style by avoiding the addition of new fixed gear which would detract from the original ascent".

Ya Ya ya Dru that is patent nonesense. To TR and preinspect a route established from the ground up in order to respect the orginal ground up fa is flat out goofy. Anyway....

The point is to free climb the original line using the same gear. Hubers try it working the moves and headpointing. Leo Houlding tries it on sight and ground up. It's just a differing style. Are you suggesting that those who bolt the routes are gonna be adding their bolts on sight, free and on the lead? No? Then yadayadayada your dissing of headpointing is pointless. wave.gifbigdrink.gif

Dru said:

[italics added]The point is to free climb the original line using the same gear. Hubers try it working the moves and headpointing. Leo Houlding tries it on sight and ground up. It's just a differing style. Are you suggesting that those who bolt the routes are gonna be adding their bolts on sight, free and on the lead? No? Then yadayadayada your dissing of headpointing is pointless. wave.gifbigdrink.gif

Dru you are you being serious? For example, Huber used a "beak" to protect a line. Beaks simply were not available when the FA was done. Many routes he has freed were first done with pitons. He freely uses clean gear as well as pins. One of Huber's goal is to make a runout route. That is fine I just think it is a goofy way to do things.

I never suggested that those who might want to add bolts would be doing so from the ground up. I have simply said that at times Huber's style is to my mind impressive from a physical perspective but as a matter of style a bit poor.

I wasn't Yadayada dissing the redpoint but your argument supporting it.

Huber, Houlding, etc. are using the aid gear that exists on the line. If there is a beak placement, or a fixed pin, then that is his pro. Leo Houlding added a hood ornament for an aid move once rolleyes.gif

It has nothing to do with using the exact same gear as was used on the original ascent. If that was the case no one would use cams on the Salathe. Your spurious arguments are illogical and invalid as always! But keep them coming cause it is fun bigdrink.gif

As to "the goal is to make a runout route" - the goal is not to retrobolt while freeing. Any tactics used in support of this goal are to be supported. If a hard crack protects well - by your argument, if he wanted to make a runout he'd fill it in with cement like the French do. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifwave.gif

complete n.e butt on dragontail, tangerine headwall s.e.w.s, concord e.face... the real question should be who wants to start trying to get after some of this shit... maybe over my head some of it, but i'm all about trying whatever with others who have imagination and determination. anythings possible.-bp fruit.gif

Dru said:

Huber, Houlding, etc. are using the aid gear that exists on the line. Dru Huber placed that Beak it didn't "exist on the line" rolleyes.gif If there is a beak placement, or a fixed pin, then that is his pro. Leo Houlding added a hood ornament for an aid move once rolleyes.gif

It has nothing to do with using the exact same gear as was used on the original ascent. Hey that's what I just said If that was the case no one would use cams on the Salathe. Your spurious arguments are illogical and invalid as always! nonesense But keep them coming cause it is fun bigdrink.gif

As to "the goal is to make a runout route" - the goal is not to retrobolt while freeing. Any tactics used in support of this goal are to be supported. If a hard crack protects well - by your argument, if he wanted to make a runout he'd fill it in with cement like the French nonesense do. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifwave.gif

My point is simply that in the future tr'ing and tr practice will be seen in the same light as the use of fixed ropes were on the fa of the Dihedral Wall. It is not a question of runouts but of style. I am not making a case against runouts. I simply am asserting that the tr and rehearsal methods of the Hubers will be considered to be in poor style in a few years and the ground up ethic will be the cutting edge. Time will tell.

Peter_Puget said:

Dru said:

Huber, Houlding, etc. are using the aid gear that exists on the line. Dru Huber placed that Beak it didn't "exist on the line" rolleyes.gif If there is a beak placement, or a fixed pin, then that is his pro. Leo Houlding added a hood ornament for an aid move once rolleyes.gif

It has nothing to do with using the exact same gear as was used on the original ascent. Hey that's what I just said If that was the case no one would use cams on the Salathe. Your spurious arguments are illogical and invalid as always! nonesense But keep them coming cause it is fun bigdrink.gif

As to "the goal is to make a runout route" - the goal is not to retrobolt while freeing. Any tactics used in support of this goal are to be supported. If a hard crack protects well - by your argument, if he wanted to make a runout he'd fill it in with cement like the French nonesense do. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifwave.gif

My point is simply that in the future tr'ing and tr practice will be seen in the same light as the use of fixed ropes were on the fa of the Dihedral Wall. It is not a question of runouts but of style. I am not making a case against runouts. I simply am asserting that the tr and rehearsal methods of the Hubers will be considered to be in poor style in a few years and the ground up ethic will be the cutting edge. Time will tell.

NO BOLTS NO BOLTS NO BOLTS boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

these two styles, rehearsed and onsighted, have co existed for a long time. in britain some of the e5's, most e6's and almost all e7's were put up headpoint style. now the e5-e7 routes are onsighted and people are headpointing e8, e9 and e10.

so its not that the style will whither away but when people are onsighting stuff like el corazon and salathe, the worked headpoint style will be being used on trad routes with multiple 5.14 pitches. wave.gif

LOl It's funny I was reading a interview in an old mountain. I think the one from '77? (#63)with the Squamich article. The interview was with Mike Graham at the end of a vacation climbing trip to England. It was funny how the english habits of TR'ing and preinspecting were brought up explicitly as poor ethics! Britain is such a small freakign place and yet there are a million really strong guys there. Anyone who travels to europe will be shocked at how many more climbers are sending hard routes. When the ground uppers start freeing walls or at least giving good efforts, the TRers will be as scarce as rap bolters at Curbar.

PP bigdrink.gif