Trollin'

allthumbs

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducknut said:

thats some serious horsepower. but looks like Cabo fishing not Florida.

whatever. contender boats are popular in florida where people like to haul ass over the flats and wind chop and swell are not big issues. the pacific is a different beast and larger deep-v hulls are typical. unless you a redneck launching your dory from pacific city.

note in the top picture that they be trolling the corners with spincasting reels and the port side corner rod is backwards. plus only one a da trolling rods got roller guides. course all their shit is penn so wtf do they know? but i bet that boat will go 50 knot per hour no problem.

lummox said:

note in the top picture that they be trolling the corners with spincasting reels and the port side corner rod is backwards. plus only one a da trolling rods got roller guides. course all their shit is penn so wtf do they know? but i bet that boat will go 50 knot per hour no problem.

That Contender is the 36' Open. According to a dealer on the Gulf of Mexico, with 2 guys and a light load of fuel it'll run in the mid 60's, which is humping right along for a 36'er. As for the rods and reels, those boys in the picture are running outriggers (essentially long-ass downrigger arms). They drag a daisy chain at a minimum depth to stir up the water and provoke a strike from a Marlin, Sail, Tuna or whatever. At that point, the line releases from the outrigger and goes to the rod. Penn reels are world class...right up there with Finn Nor. wazzup.gif

trask said:

lummox said:

That Contender is the 36' Open. According to a dealer on the Gulf of Mexico, with 2 guys and a light load of fuel it'll run in the mid 60's, which is humping right along for a 36'er. As for the rods and reels, those boys in the picture are running outriggers (essentially long-ass downrigger arms). They drag a daisy chain at a minimum depth to stir up the water and provoke a strike from a Marlin, Sail, Tuna or whatever. At that point, the line releases from the outrigger and goes to the rod. Penn reels are world class...right up there with Finn Nor. wazzup.gif

you crack me up dude. you musta fished eastcoast. left coast guys use a lot of shimano these days. and its 'fin nor'. your 'running outriggers (essentially long-ass downrigger arms)' description is weird. stop it. and i was wrong about the spincasting rods: theyre BOTH set backwards. a heavy strike could pull the ring guides off the rod. but why would anyone troll with spincasting outfits anyway? thats fucked up dude. maybe as a drop back rod. but east coast guys dont do that much. fukit. its their line twist not mine.

what you dont see in the picture is the kidney belts those guys need when theyre running topspeed. 60+ is fukin fast.

Lummox, Shimano is fine - I've got a Bantam 1000 on my G. Loomis. My response was to your Penn comment. I misspelled Fin nor, excuse me all to hell. My description of how an outrigger works is far from technical, but I think most would get my drift. I can't comment much on spinning setups, as I don't care for them or use them. Around here I throw a buzz bomb, or troll with a Cannon downrigger. Yeah 60 is fast on the water, and a kidney belt would be a good idea in the ocean. My fishing boat tops out around 50 btw. I hope you don't get into a boating debate with me, as I've been in, around, insuring and selling them all my life. You crack ME up. wave.gif

trask said:

Lummox, Shimano is fine - I've got a Bantam 1000 on my G. Loomis. My response was to your Penn comment. I misspelled Fin nor, excuse me all to hell. My description of how an outrigger works is far from technical, but I think most would get my drift. I can't comment much on spinning setups, as I don't care for them or use them. Around here I throw a buzz bomb, or troll with a Cannon downrigger. Yeah 60 is fast on the water, and a kidney belt would be a good idea in the ocean. My fishing boat tops out around 50 btw. I hope you don't get into a boating debate with me, as I've been in, around, insuring and selling them all my life. You crack ME up. wave.gif

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

snoboy said:

trask said:I hope you don't get into a boating debate with me, as I've been in, around, insuring and selling them all my life. You crack ME up. wave.gif

takes mod hat off

I hope he does, coz it will be fun to see him get slapped down! hahaha.gif

/puts mod hat back on...

didn't I just say that? wink.gif

trask said:

so you know sumpin bout boat insurance? wtf do you know bout fishing? whynt you upgrade that ugly ass bantam to a trinidad? and get a calstar rod while yer at it. hehe. i bet yur a moocher. take yer wounded herring and flasher and . . .