New climbing area by Skykomish

EWolfe

Steve (who has the climbing gym in Monroe) was telling me about a new area he found out of Skykomish - really big rock walls.

He said there were 2 pitches of apron, pretty easy into 3-5 pitch granite walls. Lots of climbing to develop, he was all cryptic about it.

Anyone else heard about this? He was secretive enough that it didn't seem like a troll... tongue.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh yes the fabled skykomish crags.....

i met some guy at backpackers a few weeks ago spraying all about route descriptions and on and on about how good it was. when i asked where he got all silent.

i have to ask what is the point of putting up new routes and spraying or talking about them if one chooses not to share?

i was talking to some boater friends and they let me know of some crags out that diro, but i would have get my gazetter and see the details.

erik said:

i met some guy ....spraying all about route descriptions and on and on about how good it was. when i asked where he got all silent.

i have to ask what is the point of putting up new routes and spraying or talking about them if one chooses not to share?

Reminds me of a particular ice climbing related post/area from this spring.... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

With an average pitch length of 100’ that’s a 700 foot cliff. Upper Wall is only a bit over 500’. It would be great if it were true and the Monroe guys were developing up a storm! One of the climbing Gregs told me about a new cliff out by Skykomish maybe it’s the same one. Did he tell you how long the approach is?

There are some areas near Zekes that look pretty big.

If you are driving east making that big turn near boulder drop and you look up, you'll see a big cliff up the hillside to the south of the highway. It's about a 30 minute flat hike to the base on roads. The cliff is pretty darn big but also lacking in good lines. It isn't granite either.

DCramer said:

With an average pitch length of 100’ that’s a 700 foot cliff. Upper Wall is only a bit over 500’. It would be great if it were true and the Monroe guys were developing up a storm! One of the climbing Gregs told me about a new cliff out by Skykomish maybe it’s the same one. Did he tell you how long the approach is?

There are some areas near Zekes that look pretty big.

If you are driving east making that big turn near boulder drop and you look up, you'll see a big cliff up the hillside to the south of the highway. It's about a 30 minute flat hike to the base on roads. The cliff is pretty darn big but also lacking in good lines. It isn't granite either.

Steve said he was developing it heavily this summer, so mum's the word - at least until now evils3d.gif

The approach is fairly long, and the drive substantial.

What stuck in my craw was how he said that it looked small until they got on it, then all of a sudden they found what looked like a small "slab" approach turned into two pitches, which gave them new perspective on how big the headwall was...

Who knows confused.gif

..but I would be glad to drive a little extra for a 5-7'er.

Stefan said:

I don't get the hints. I am clueless.

I wonder if its that place south of the Miller River Campground but across the river. But I could be wrong.

" 'there are clues in the cascade alpine guide...

#6594 ...5519' hmmm. "

Approach a 5519' peak via FS road #6594...

"The upper W and E faces are quite sheer rock for the last 500 feet."

hmmm..

"massive and grey.."

"numerous bluffs in the woods"

"narrow knife edged sitting straddle(ouch!)

COULD these clues written by the world oldest climbing bum stir the hearts of jaded crag rats?...

WILL crusty alpinists with beards rush to straddle the spiny summit ridge?....

WHO would you manage to talk into "checking out some stuff" in the middle of the week?..

HOW smart is it to go climbing in national forest during hunting season?..

CATCH ALL THE ACTION,TUNE IN THIS WEEK!!!

(next week,"how to remove devils club slivers")

Stefan said:

I don't get the hints. I am clueless.

I wonder if its that place south of the Miller River Campground but across the river. But I could be wrong.

We were up in that neck of the woods a few weekends ago, and it looks like there's a LOT up there. Anyone want to say anything?