Temple Ridge Traverse - Prusik to Temple

schnitzem

Scheming a traverse across the Temple ridge spires in the Enchantments starting with Prusik Peaks south face then onto the Flake, Boxtop, Pogo Pinnacle, the High Priest….and ending with Mt. Temple. The traverse looks great on paper…..but is it feasible?

smileysex5.gifAny beta or thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips. Went for it this weekend in reverse starting with Mt. Temple, High Priest, Boxtop, and ending with Prusik. Great rock on all of the peaks....although it was hard to stay on the ridge proper for most of the climb. Boxtop was classic and the West Ridge of Prusik was the cherry on top.

Only problem we had was water as Erik pointed out (in response)....so we got way dehydrated by the time we finished Prusik and I chucked a couple of times on the 10 mile hike out.

Thanks hahaha.gif

schnitzem said:

Thanks for the tips. Went for it this weekend in reverse starting with Mt. Temple, High Priest, Boxtop, and ending with Prusik. Great rock on all of the peaks....although it was hard to stay on the ridge proper for most of the climb. Boxtop was classic and the West Ridge of Prusik was the cherry on top.

Only problem we had was water as Erik pointed out (in response)....so we got way dehydrated by the time we finished Prusik and I chucked a couple of times on the 10 mile hike out.

Thanks hahaha.gif

Did you skip Monument and Flake Tower?

Hey ryland_moore ,

good connection....although I guess there weren't too many of us climbing last weekend.

How was the rest of your trip? My buddy and I were jealous of your set-up.....two nights ....wine....girlfriend....

I was pretty stoked about our climb until ~Nada lake when I realized I had slammed to much water to fast after being dehydrated for most of the day.

Are you in the Seattle area?

schnitzem said:

Unfortunately yes, would have loved to hit them too (noticed your earlier response) but did not have the time or energy.

When you climbed Monument did you have to prusik the final summit block - like Beckey recomends?

There is no other way to summit, unless you can face climb in the hard 5.10's covered in lichen for 30' with no pro and probable death or certain maiming if you fall.

Hey ryland_moore ,

good connection....although I guess there weren't too many of us climbing last weekend.

How was the rest of your trip? My buddy and I were jealous of your set-up.....two nights ....wine....girlfriend....

I was pretty stoked about our climb until ~Nada lake when I realized I had slammed to much water to fast after being dehydrated for most of the day.

Are you in the Seattle area?

Schnitzem, not girlfriend, just friend from Leavenworth whom I met on Denali. We only stayed that one night and hiked out on Sunday after our climb. I live in Eugene, so Sunday was a pretty long day for me.

Greg_W said:

schnitzem said:

Unfortunately yes, would have loved to hit them too (noticed your earlier response) but did not have the time or energy.

When you climbed Monument did you have to prusik the final summit block - like Beckey recomends?

There is no other way to summit, unless you can face climb in the hard 5.10's covered in lichen for 30' with no pro and probable death or certain maiming if you fall.

The weakness for free climbers is on the north. But it's essentially a solo as mentioned.

It deserves to stay unbolted and in it's current classic state.

I think the Boxtop is trickier than Beckey let's on. It's all good granite so you'll have no problems- except if you need water on the ridge. Best done for bivewackers in late may so you can carry a stove and melt snow from nearby.

After climbing Temple the best way down is probably down Temple Canyon. It's really nice in there.

erik said:

JUST BRING WEBBING.

Confusing raps on boxtop, we finally rapped off the southside (3 raps with a 60M rope). Beckey says to rap on west side (true summit) off of a big horn....no thanks. wave.gif

Beckey has a typo on the High Priest rap, it should read do one rap off the east face not the west face. West face is 400 ft long and pitons are found on east face. Beckey also sandbagged the West face of High Priest.....he says 4th class...but it is clearly 5th and tons of fun!

Confusing raps on boxtop

We had some interesting downclimbing. Then rapped the Beckey Route on the Special with pms and the fifi hook and a 30 meter line with a tiny stopper shoved behind the boulder above the tunnel back down and then another fifi hook special to the area where the red lichen traverse is.

If someone's going to advocate bolts in the wilderness this might be the one worth arguing over. - expect some spray -

In short I'll chime in again and say the Boxtop was trickier than what Beckey lead me to believe in his book.

It was fun to tunnel through the mountain though thumbs_up.gif

758_Tunnel_Pitch.jpg

Cpt.Caveman said:

Confusing raps on boxtop

...rapped the Beckey Route on the Special with pms and the fifi hook and a 30 meter line with a tiny stopper shoved behind the boulder above the tunnel back down and then another fifi hook special to the area where the red lichen traverse is.

That is so cool thumbs_up.gif

Good Pic. I agree that the boxtop is a bit sand bagged and more committing than Beckey suggests....but there is no way in hell that bolts are neccessary on the peak.....plenty of horns and chockstones just require parties to leave a few slings behind. Just because a 30 M rope can't get you off a peak easily, does not justify bolting............bring a longer rope or expect to leave gear!

Cpt.Caveman said:

Just because a 30 M rope can't get you off a peak easily, does not justify bolting............bring a longer rope or expect to leave gear!

Hey bud. Take it easy now hahaha.gif I think you've been hooked on wazzup.gif the trolling line.

More like the fifi hook fruit.gif

That and I couldn't let you get away with that comment without at least one what the "hell" wazzup.gif