Survey Questions?

Lambone

quote:

12. Do you always stay on established trails at the climbing area? a. yes b. no13. Do you pick up trash at the climbing area? a. always b. sometimes c. never

Lambchop,I was thinking that these questions could be rephrased to avoid some bias from people answering what they think they should answer to be politically correct or to make themselves feel more ecoconcious. Instead of "Do you stay" or "Do you pick up" perhaps it could read "Have you ever" Leaves some of the personal interpretation out of the answer.

A small thing but.....

Oh, and Chuck, try to remember that you said yourself that you were giving a SUGGESTION. Don't start to cry when your utterances are not taken as gospel. We are all losers here in this big bad world, thats why we mess about on this BB!!!!! Another hug?? wink.gif" border="0

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambone,

As per johnny's suggestion earlier, Questions 16, 17, and 18 could also be "Have you ever..." type questions.

For those "Have you ever..." questions, there should probably be a second part that details the frequency (if you are interested in that type of info).

gev

I have realized tht chuck was right. This survey is too long, and approaches too many seperate research questions. I think I'm going to drop the evironmental impact stuff, and stick to looking at profile demographics in relation to where climbers spend most of their time when "cragging." It is less interesting, but will be more straight forward to analize in the long run.

Thanks for all the good beta, and the funny spray (yes even you chuck). I'll post the revised survey next week, and if folks can take a few minutes to fill it out that'd be cool. Maybe I'll try to fit in some kinda pub club prize. Thanks again.

Lambone,

The way to do this quickly, easily and painlessly is to create a generic webiste with A,B,C,etc buttons for each of the questions

Start a new thread about it and get people to go take the survey on line. You can even log their IP address to prevent multiple responses from the same computer.

If you arent the strong in the html department, you can easily pay one of your fellow students $10/hr and (assuming you have the questions prepared) in two hours they will have it done for you.

It just *might* be a little more efficient than "hey what do you guys think of my questions"... Just a thought.

smile.gif" border="0

This is RURP:

":survey question 100a) are you female

100b) do you like wearing sport bras"

I have never heard of a "sport bra". Is this Jamaican slang? Is this something sport climbers wear on their heads? Can you buy these from Barrabes? Just more climbing jargon I suppose?

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:
Are you some sort of undergraduate taking a massive lecture hall statistics course taught by a semi-absent professor and a few of his sycophantic, semi-educated minions (graduate students)? I pity the fool!

Easy there Professor. I doubt you secured your PhD without trudging the trenches of the graduate student and being a sycophant (that's synonymous with boot licker, yes-man, etc) to a bloated-egoed prof. As a former (MS), and future (PhD) grad student I've been there/done that and get another dose soon. I did grade alot of work and teach occasionally as a master's student and anticpate more of the same. Of course I have only attended lowly state schools rolleyes.gif" border="0 , one of which is consistently ranked among the best engineering schools in the country.

Peter Puget: You have not corrected me, but have merely exposed your lack of knowledge/experience regarding alpinism. When I need advise on clipping bolts, I'll come knocking. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Dru! Congratulations! And I mean that! There are way too many unemployed geographers so count yourself among the fortunate.

Things I notice about alpinism. I am very inexperienced at it.

• Less mountaineers on more difficult routes.
  • Climbing can be a lot easier and less
  • sustained than Index.
  • Views are unmatchable.
  • Overall experience is best.
  • Never heard of Peter Puget doing much of it tongue.gif" border="0
  • Not so many bolts on most climbs I have done.
  • Loose rock is just part of the game.
  • Less sport monkeys

Dwayner,

My previous major was in Fish and Wildlife Management, so I'd have to say that I am quite impressed in the vast job market for geographers, relative to that field. I feel as I have taken a step up in the food chain so to speak.

I know I should be studying computer science or engineering of some sort, but as you can see by my spelling, attention to detail is not my strong point. I figure that in order to complete school I'm going to need to study something that holds my intrests. Otherwise I'd probably just go live in the Valley again. Unfortunately, due to the size of my student loan debt, that is not a realistic option. Unless I accept the identity of a new avatar, and keep running from "the man."

Oh, and I did my first "real" alpine route many many years before I redpointed my first bolted 11a. But thats another story...

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

Lambone-Dude! I wasn't trying to make you feel bad...Geography rocks! (as does Fish and Wildlife). I've got degrees in Political "Science" [laf] , Anthropology rolleyes.gif" border="0 , and Archaeology [hell no] , which are arguably far more pathetic than your major. I just felt like bitchin' about the T.A.'s; many of whom I have found to be knuckleheads and lesser shadows of their knucklehead mentors/professors. As I may have stated before, I have always taught my own lectures and graded my own papers. No one, including the high-paid guys, should think they are above that.

Shalom....and get off my lap, young man!

cool.gif" border="0 Dwayner

Hey, my fiance was a TA last year...

I hear what you mean. But still I think TA's are a good resource for undergrad students. They are much more approachable than professors, and can often relate to a students questions and concerns better. A 25 year old TA was in the undergrad's shoes much more recently than a 45 year old professors. Know what I mean, would you agree?

My lady was not concerned about impressing any professor because her graduate advisor had nothing to do with the class that she was TAing. She was only concerned with impressing her students. Which wasn't so easy when trying to teach Jocks about Rocks.

Unfortunately what TAs lack is experience in presenting their ideas. Many do not have much (or any)teaching experience, but hey there is only one way to obtain that right.

I am more frustrated with professor's who are more interested in their own personal research, and future publications than preparing a good (clear, and well thought out)lecture for their students. Anyway, blah, blah, blah...I should be studying.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

"BTW- My "sycophantic, semi-educated minion" TA is working on a PHD and has been studying Geography for more than 8 years. I value her opinion and advice much more than drunk ol Proffessor Dwayners." Woo-hoo, Lambone! I'd value her geographical advice more that my own too...especially since she's been at it for 8 years...and can probably anticipate another 8 in that field, because teaching bonehead geography classes as a TA might be the only job she's gonna get in Geography..and I ain't speaking of her specifically, it's fields like that in general. Lots of folks hang out in graduate school because the reality of the real world is not very comforting when it comes to landing employment with a Ph.D. in things such as geography, anthropology, English lit, history and any number of professions. I know someone who took almost 20 years to get a Ph.D. and now he's a computer nerd doing absolutely nothing even related to his subject.Yes, there are many lazy professors at big schools because they can get away with it. T.A.'s contribute to this situation. There are also many T.A.'s doing the old "make a survey" assignment which is more complicated, as you have found, than they themselves probably realized. To me, many T.A.'s are like instructors in the Mountaineers Basic Course. They are often recent graduates of the previous years Basic Course. Some are actually abused by their "boss", and many are genuine or reluctant "suck-ups". Yah...you don't have to appreciate "drunk ol Proffessor Dwayners" viewpoint, but as one who has spent plenty of time on both sides of the lecture hall, I feel I have an opinion based on a great deal more experience than yours...your comments are kind of like a sport-climber trying to teach a hardened alpinist how to place pro. And by the way....maybe you can ask that fancy T.A. of yours to teach you how to spell "Proffessor". (Here's a clue...it only has one "f").your pal, Dwayner

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Dwayner ]